Meeting: Greater Jasper SchoolsSeptember 25, 2018
The Greater Jasper School Board met Monday night and:
• Approved the proposed 2019 budget. Currently, the rate is $1.74 per $100,000 of assessed value. However, the rate for the final budget will be lower. The state requires schools to propose a budget with a high tax rate, then makes cuts for the final budget.
• Approved establishing an education and an operations fund, per new state law governing school finance. The new funds will become active on Jan. 1, 2019, when money from the general fund will move to the education fund and money from the bus replacement, transportation and capital projects funds will move to the operations fund.
• Heard that the Indiana Department of Education released the 2017-18 accountability letter grades to schools Monday. The letter grades will be released to the public in November after the State Board of Education meeting.
• Heard an update on the Jasper Elementary School project. Utilities were run to the site, Ackerman Road was widened, and pavement bases for the parking lots were poured last month. Coming up, the additional area of Ackerman Road will be paved and concrete for the building’s walls will be poured. The public can watch the project’s progress on the Jasper Elementary page of Greater Jasper’s website, www.gjcs.k12.in.us.
• Heard that the adjustments to the north-side parking lot at Jasper Middle School will wait until spring. The project was bid out last month to seven contractors, but all were too busy.
• Approved the resignations of part-time instructional assistant Carolyn Mowat and special education teacher Emily Dills at Fifth Street School; and Exceptional Children’s Co-op data entry specialist Barbara Mills.
• Approved hiring English as a New Language instructional assistant Veronica Ocelot at Fifth Street; and Business Professionals of America sponsor Marci Showalter, Spell Bowl coach Kari Schaefer and assistant football coach Brent Seibert at Jasper Middle School.
• Approved the Jasper High School Future Farmers of America to attend the state soils competition in Martinsville, the national convention in Indianapolis and the FFA FIRE Camp in Trafalgar this fall.
• Heard that the next board meeting will be at 7 p.m. Monday, Oct. 15, at the corporation office, 1520 St. Charles.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
I’ve enjoyed a few stadium shakers in my time, but it’s the anti-arena acts on the smaller...
The hottest ticket the last two weekends for an Indiana volunteer firefighter had to be the...
Although he is in the middle of his Congressional work in the nation’s capital, U.S. Sen. Mike...
Bark in the Parklands was a joint event between the Dubois County Humane Society and the Jasper...
In celebration of Newspapers in Education Week, we asked elementary schoolers from Ireland,...
More than 500 attendees flooded the Jasper Community Arts Center and parts of Vincennes...
Severe weather that included wind gusts approaching 50 mph left its mark on Dubois County...
The St. John Bosco Youth Ministry in Jasper has hired Jacqueline Ripberger as its new director.