Meeting: Greater Jasper School BoardNovember 27, 2018
The Greater Jasper School Board met Monday and:
• Heard a presentation on the year so far at Tenth Street School. The school is working to implement the Leader in Me program already in use at Fifth Street School, and is seeking to become a lighthouse school under the program. The goal is to use the same program at both schools so there can be a seamless transition when the two schools become Jasper Elementary School. Tenth Street also implemented a Student of the Month program for each grade and created leadership teams among the faculty to work on leadership skills, culture and academics throughout the school.
• Heard a presentation on the school’s state accountability grades for the 2017-18 school year. Each of the schools received an A or B, with Jasper High School receiving nearly perfect marks. The corporation, as a whole, received an A as well. Schools also received federal accountability grades for the first time this year. Federal grades take into account chronic absenteeism and English language learners. All the schools received A’s or Bs at the federal level as well.
• Approved seeking bids for replacing the one-to-one technology devices for Jasper Middle and Jasper High school students, and for upgrades to the schools’ wifi infrastructure.
• Heard that the Jasper Elementary School project is 21 percent complete. The steel framing for the gym is up, and other structural work is being completed.
• Approved an agreement with Alpha Mechanical of Louisville for $44,976 for preventative maintenance on various major equipment throughout the corporation’s buildings such as the HVAC systems.
• Approved the county-wide school calendar for the 2019-20 school year. The calendar makes it so each county school corporation has the same breaks.
• Approved the resignations of instructional assistant Sara Lindeman at Tenth Street, custodian Bonnie Schwenk at Ireland Elementary, soccer coach Alex Saltysyuk and assistant football coach Paul Nichter at the middle school, and head volleyball coach Liz Milligan at the high school.
• Approved hiring temporary special education preschool teacher Olivia Schilling and assistant cafeteria manager Michelle Witte at Fifth Street School, instructional assistant Laura Sinkhorn and part-time English as a new language instructional assistant Mariah Hundley at Tenth Street, and assistant swim coach Kristy Vaughn and assistant track coach Geoff Mauck at the middle school.
• Approved the Tenth Street fifth grade to visit the Louisville Science Center.
• Approved dispersing the Teacher Appreciation Grant funds a bonuses to teachers and administrators. The grant comes from the Indiana Department of Education. The amount each teacher and administrator receives is tied to teacher evaluations.
• Scheduled the annual reorganization meeting for 7:30 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 3, at the corporation office, 1520 St. Charles St., Jasper.
• Heard that the December board meeting will be held at 1 p.m. Monday, Dec. 17, at the corporation office.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Woodcrest Capital of Forth Worth, Texas, has purchased the Jasper Manor Shopping Center located...
Rain has pounded Dubois County this week but stopped just in time Tuesday night to bring out a...
Celestine Elementary will close after the 2019-20 school year.
With a fifth straight day of rain in store and 30 roads flooded by muddy water, the Dubois...
Patoka Lake reached the spillway elevation of 548 feet as of noon today.
Heavy pockets of rain continued to dampen Dubois County this morning, as water levels at Patoka...
For 15-year-old Thalia Hernandez of Jasper, her quinceañera was filled with moments to remember.
A grant application seeking money to build a new fire station in Birdseye received what amounted...