Meeting: Dubois County Contractual Library BoardSeptember 7, 2018
The Dubois County Contractual Library Board met Thursday and:
• Held the 2019 budget hearing. There were no public comments. The proposed budget will be approved at the next board meeting, set for 4 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 11, at the Jasper Library Annex, 1103 Main St., Jasper.
• Heard that library staff are looking at using Beanstack, an app that manages reading initiatives, such as the annual summer reading program. The app appeared on an episode of the TV show “Shark Tank” and lets participants log their books and reading time on the app, cutting down on paperwork and staff time required for the programs. Other libraries have found that using the app significantly increases teen and young adult participation. That age group is difficult to get involved, Library Director Christine Golden said.
• Heard that the library has set up ABC Mouse for children to use in the branches. ABC Mouse is an online, early learning service that teaches children how to read.
• Heard that the library system set up a grant committee to keep all branches on the same page about what grants are available and to apply for grants as a whole system when applicable rather than individual branches each applying for grants.
• Heard that staff at each branch is working to weed out older materials that aren’t checked out anymore to make room for new materials.
• Approved hiring Greg Schnarr, an attorney at Rahman Law Office in Ferdinand, as board attorney, effective Jan. 1. That’s when current attorney, Bill Shaneyfelt of Shaneyfelt & Bohnenkemper in Jasper, will retire. The Jasper Public Library Board did the same.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
I’ve enjoyed a few stadium shakers in my time, but it’s the anti-arena acts on the smaller...
The hottest ticket the last two weekends for an Indiana volunteer firefighter had to be the...
Although he is in the middle of his Congressional work in the nation’s capital, U.S. Sen. Mike...
Bark in the Parklands was a joint event between the Dubois County Humane Society and the Jasper...
In celebration of Newspapers in Education Week, we asked elementary schoolers from Ireland,...
More than 500 attendees flooded the Jasper Community Arts Center and parts of Vincennes...
Severe weather that included wind gusts approaching 50 mph left its mark on Dubois County...
The St. John Bosco Youth Ministry in Jasper has hired Jacqueline Ripberger as its new director.