Meeting: Dubois County CommissionersMarch 19, 2019
The Dubois County Commissioners met Monday and:
• Passed a property maintenance ordinance that consolidates the county’s junk and weed ordinances into one and is more restrictive on what constitutes a junk violation. A story is on Page 4.
• Allowed the sheriff’s department and recorder’s office to add a credit card machine to their departments. The public will be able to use the machine to pay for bonds, Sheriff Tom Kleinhelter explained; people will still be able to pay cash, if they choose. At the recorder’s office, people will be able to use the machine to pay for services, Recorder Jackie McPherron said. Any fee for paying by credit will be charged to the customer.
• Selected Bingham Greenebaum Doll as its bond counsel for upcoming improvements to the jail and justice system. The committee studying potential improvements along with architectural firm RQAW will meet again at 4 p.m. Thursday in the Dubois County Courthouse Annex, 602 Main St., Jasper.
• Approved the highway department’s purchase of steel for bridge work on Wernsing Road. LB Foster of Indianapolis will supply pipe pilling for $37,066 and deck pans for $2,835; Sugar Steel of Evansville will supply structural steel for $21,248.
• Hired Oracle Elevator Co. of Evansville to repair the elevator on the north end of the Dubois County Courthouse for $3,340. The elevator is used by employees and is not accessible to the public. The public elevator is on the south end of the courthouse.
• Approved the Strassenfest Committee’s request to use the courthouse grounds and basement bathrooms for the annual festival, which will be Aug. 1-4. Committee member Mike Ackerman said the Veterans Memorial area will be roped off to keep children from playing in the fountain pool area, which is disrespectful, he said. Also, he said, the new portable stage the Dubois County Visitors Center has obtained will be used on the west side of Courthouse Square.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Woodcrest Capital of Forth Worth, Texas, has purchased the Jasper Manor Shopping Center located...
Rain has pounded Dubois County this week but stopped just in time Tuesday night to bring out a...
Celestine Elementary will close after the 2019-20 school year.
With a fifth straight day of rain in store and 30 roads flooded by muddy water, the Dubois...
Patoka Lake reached the spillway elevation of 548 feet as of noon today.
Heavy pockets of rain continued to dampen Dubois County this morning, as water levels at Patoka...
For 15-year-old Thalia Hernandez of Jasper, her quinceañera was filled with moments to remember.
A grant application seeking money to build a new fire station in Birdseye received what amounted...