Man threatens to bomb courthouse, gets 5 yearsNovember 25, 2019
By The Associated Press
LAFAYETTE — A man who threatened to bomb a northwestern Indiana courthouse, prompting the building’s evacuation, has been sentenced to five years in prison.
A special judge sentenced 48-year-old Michael Battering on Friday after detailing the lengthy criminal history he had amassed before he threatened to bomb the Tippecanoe County Courthouse in Lafayette.
Battering pleaded guilty last month to intimidation and false informing. The Journal & Courier reports he also pleaded guilty to fraud for using a stolen credit card to buy the cellphone he used to make the threat.
Battering claimed he was high on meth and heroin when he called in the April 11 bomb threat, spurring the courthouse’s evacuation. Police found no bombs in the building.
Battering told the court he’s “seriously sorry for upsetting everybody's lives that day."
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari’s newest marquee attraction is the first of its kind — a...
The county's plan for reopening will follow the state's plan.
The Dubois County Health Department reported today one new COVID-19 case.
A little bowtie-clad hamster named Harry Hugger is here to teach children about the COVID-19...
Dubois County Democratic Chairman Mike Kendall said he still stands behind Mikayla Granados’...
The Dubois County Health Department today reported no new COVID-19 cases.
In just under a year, the Tri-County YMCA in Ferdinand will be 50% larger. It held a...
The Dubois County Health Department reported today two new COVID-19 cases.