Man in bar fight with off-duty officers awarded $1.25MSeptember 20, 2019
By The Associated Press
INDIANAPOLIS — A jury has awarded an Air Force veteran nearly $1.25 million in damages related to a 2014 bar fight involving two off-duty Indianapolis officers that left him unconscious.
The Indianapolis Star reports Wednesday's verdict stemmed from a federal lawsuit by Bradford Bohanon against the officers and the city. The jury blamed city policies for the officers' actions.
The mayor's office says it's prioritizing transparency and accountability by police.
In the criminal case, John Serban and Michael Reiger were acquitted in 2016 of battery. Bohanon argued with a bartender over his tab, and when Serban told him to leave, Bohanon grabbed the officer's badge and threw it. The fight moved outside.
The officers' attorneys argued they acted in self-defense. The police department says Serban eventually resigned and Reiger's employment was terminated.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Inside the ink, Boone Taylor has found trust and respect. The Jasper man has previously owned...
The Dubois County Health Department reported today five new positive COVID-19 cases.
The Dubois County Council had the difficult task of trimming the county’s proposed 2021 budget...
Be true. Be kind. Be you. More than two years after complications from a brain tumor surgery...
Finances were on the minds of each Dubois County Council member as they reviewed the budgets of...
Of the county’s 708 cases, 479 have recovered and 12 deaths have been reported. A total of...
The Dubois County Health Department reported today 24 new positive COVID-19 cases.
The nun serving as the Spanish language interpreter for the Dubois County Courts will tell you...