Man gets 55 years for murder of man at bachelor partyMay 27, 2021
By The Associated Press
INDIANAPOLIS — A man convicted of murder and criminal recklessness in the 2019 shooting death of a man celebrating his bachelor party has been sentenced to 55 years in prison, prosecutors said Thursday.
Derek Oechsle, 33, also was found guilty last month in the Nov. 29, 2019, slaying of Christopher Smith, 41.
Smith and some friends were celebrating his upcoming marriage when witnesses said Oechsle, sitting nearby, appeared to become visibly upset, prosecutors have said. A fight ensued and Oechsle pulled out a gun and began to strike another man.
When Smith attempted to break up the fight, Oechsle shot Smith and into the surrounding crowd until a member of Smith’s party returned fire, striking Oechsle multiple times, prosecutors said.
Smith immediately collapsed on the floor due to his injuries. Oechsle fled the scene before collapsing in the parking lot, prosecutors said.
Oechsle was sentenced last week.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
In just one week, Ryan Menke of Holland will be swimming across the Hudson River.
Out of all eight Indiana State Police posts built when ISP was formed in the 1930s, the Jasper...
Habitat for Humanity of Dubois County announced the selection of the Armstrong family to partner...
Recently, I had to contend with an epic battle between good and evil: To doughnut or not to...
The Dubois County 4-H Fair ran July 12-16 at the Dubois County 4-H Fairgrounds in Bretzville....
Josie Brown contemplated while her horse, Scotty, took a break to chew on some grass. The two...
Indiana Department of Transportation workers have several projects underway in the area.