Lightning suspected cause of Chrisney home fireJuly 14, 2020
From Local Sources
CHRISNEY — Lightning is suspected of sparking a fire that damaged a Chrisney home Saturday night.
Units of the Chrisney Volunteer Fire Department were called to the David and Karen Dougan home at 220 S. Church St. at 10:59 p.m. CT, according to Fire Chief Kent Groves.
A lightning strike about an hour before split a tree at the location and tripped electrical breakers at multiple residences, according to Groves.
The Dougan’s smelled smoke in a bathroom area and called authorities.
Groves called for manpower assistance from neighboring departments after suspecting that past renovation work and false ceilings could complicate getting to what was an attic fire in the area of an add-on back room.
Agencies responding included the volunteer departments from Luce, Jackson and Ohio townships and the Grandview Volunteer Fire Department.
The home sustained fire and smoke damage but can be repaired, according to Groves. The occupants are temporarily staying with family.
Chrisney’s department responded with four trucks and 11 firefighters who were on the scene about three hours. They were assisted by multiple firefighters and at least one truck from each of the neighboring departments.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Habitat for Humanity of Dubois County announced the selection of the Armstrong family to partner...
Recently, I had to contend with an epic battle between good and evil: To doughnut or not to...
The Dubois County 4-H Fair ran July 12-16 at the Dubois County 4-H Fairgrounds in Bretzville....
Josie Brown contemplated while her horse, Scotty, took a break to chew on some grass. The two...
Indiana Department of Transportation workers have several projects underway in the area.
Paintings and sculptures depicting community life are being created in a local, but temporary,...
Indiana State Police Superintendent Doug Carter recently announced the promotion of Master...