Kitchen fire displaces Perry County familyJanuary 3, 2019
From Local Sources
ADYEVILLE — A Perry County family of four is temporarily staying with relatives after a Tuesday kitchen fire at the home they rented southeast of St. Meinrad.
The St. Meinrad Volunteer Fire Department was called to 18729 Candy Road at 11:50 a.m., according to Fire Chief Tom Kloeck.
Kloeck said the farmhouse is owned by Jim Gogel. It was being rented by Nick Cain, who lived there with his wife and two children, the chief said.
No one was home at the time of the fire, which was reported by Gogel.
Kloeck said the first of each month just happens to be the time Gogel reads a meter at the house recording LP gas usage.
Gogel did not notice anything amiss when he arrived at the Candy Road location but saw smoke before leaving and called authorities.
Kloeck said the fire appeared to have started by the kitchen stove, although Cain said the appliance was not in use prior to the family leaving.
Fire was contained to the kitchen but there was heavy smoke damage in the house, according to Kloeck.
The Cains had three pets inside the house. A cat apparently ran upstairs after the fire started. It survived.
Two dogs were overcome by smoke. They were taken outside but could not be revived, according to Kloeck.
The house remained structurally sound after the fire but may require gutting to be repaired, according to Kloeck.
The American Red Cross was called in to assist the family.
The St. Meinrad department responded with six trucks and 23 firefighters who were on the scene 90 minutes. Members of Perry County’s Anderson Township Volunteer Fire Department assisted with four trucks.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
A photo essay featuring four local baptisms documented by Herald photojournalists.
Tourists clamored to first see the trickle of oil in the tranquil water of Pearl Harbor, and...
The Huntingburg Police Department force has a new member.
The Ferdinand Chamber of Commerce honored two award winners and had several featured speakers...
What would she think? When Leo Eckerle tilts back his head to look at the 32-foot-tall pine on...
Four-year-old Head Start student Ray perused Walmart’s toy cars aisle Wednesday morning with...
Marlene Greener shared Christmas letters explaining her family’s excitement about moving to...
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas in downtown Jasper.