Kitchen fire displaces family north of DuffAugust 23, 2013
By BILL POWELL
Herald Staff Writer
DUFF — A family of four living north of Duff has been displaced temporarily by a Thursday evening kitchen fire.
Units of the Ireland Volunteer Fire Department were called to the Tim and Barb Hopf residence at 6528 W. 260S at 6:53 p.m.
Fire Chief Stan Seifert said Tim Hopf had started to heat a pan of grease on his stove. He went outside to attend to something, lost track of time and found the grease had burst into flames when he went back into the house.
“When we arrived on the scene he was spraying water into the kitchen to try to slow it down a little bit,” Seifert said.
The chief and another firefighter who were the first on the scene attacked what fire was left.
Seifert said the fire caused extensive damage to the kitchen and living room area on the brick home’s lower level and heavy smoke and heat damage to the upper level.
Firefighters used exhaust fans to draw smoke from inside the structure. Seifert said the kitchen had a drop ceiling, and insulation was sandwiched between it and the floor joists above.
“When we were mopping up,” Seifert said, “we pulled that insulation down to check for hot spots and the wood underneath looked like it was brand new. That’s good.”
The house is still structurally sound and most of its windows are intact, the chief said. He had not yet attached a dollar amount to the damage. He intended to go back to the scene to take photographs today and was waiting to talk with the Hopfs’ insurance agent.
The couple and two of their adult children who resided in the home indicated they had someplace else to stay, Seifert said. It is hoped that clothes in the upstairs closets will be OK after being laundered, the chief said.
Four trucks and 18 firefighters were on the scene for almost two hours. Memorial Hospital Emergency Medical Services assisted.
Contact Bill Powell at firstname.lastname@example.org
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Volunteers have taken another step forward in saving Birdseye’s Koerner Commercial Block building.
A three week long death investigation closed out Monday evening after investigators arrested a...
Indiana Conservation Officers are reporting a man was life-flighted after an ATV crash in...
Indiana conservation officers are reporting that a 14-year-old boy has died as a result of...
Signs advertising internet service from companies out of the area are popping up around the...
Ferdinand native Madeleine Pelzel will embark on an 841-mile bike ride this summer to raise...
Police taking a man into custody Monday afternoon on a warrant ended up accusing him and another...
With the help of K-9 Karma, police arrested a 32-year-old habitual traffic violator yesterday...