Meeting: Jasper Public Library BoardNovember 9, 2018
The Jasper Public Library Board met Thursday and:
• Heard that the application to bring a Smithsonian exhibit to Dubois County will be submitted Monday. The library, Jasper Community Arts Commission and Dubois County Museum are partnering on the application. The program is through a partnership between Indiana Humanities and the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C. If selected, Dubois County would be one of six counties in Indiana to host the exhibit — titled “Change in Rural America” — that examines rural America from 1945 to the present.
• Approved additional appropriations covering the remaining $5.4 million for the Thyen-Clark Cultural Center that the library has from the property tax referendum that passed in 2016 and a series of bond anticipation notes to be used if necessary. The actions allow the board to take out bonds equalling the $5.4 million as needed. As of now, the plan is to borrow the funds using a series of general obligation and lease bonds.
• Heard that the Jasper City / Library LLC approved the operating agreement between the LLC, city and library to be used once the building project begins. The LLC approved the agreement at its meeting Thursday morning. During the construction project, the LLC will take out the bonds to pay for the project and manage the construction through Library Director Christine Golden and Jasper Community Arts Director Kyle Rupert, who will represent their respective boards in the LLC and act in accordance with board decisions. The agreement sets up a system similar to what school boards use when they complete major building projects.
• Heard that the request for proposals for contractors for the Thyen-Clark Cultural Center went out and the deadline for contractors to respond will be later this month. So far, local contractors as well as firms from Bloomington, Evansville and Louisville have expressed interest. The LLC board will hold a meeting at 4 p.m. Wednesday, November 28 at Jasper City Hall, 610 Main St. to open the bids.
• Approved assigning construction bids to the LLC for management when they come in.
• Decided that during the project the board will serve in an oversite role with the LLC. To make that happen Golden will report all claims and payments made by the LLC to the board each month.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Patoka Lake reached the spillway elevation of 548 feet as of noon today.
Heavy pockets of rain continued to dampen Dubois County this morning, as water levels at Patoka...
For 15-year-old Thalia Hernandez of Jasper, her quinceañera was filled with moments to remember.
A grant application seeking money to build a new fire station in Birdseye received what amounted...
Due to Sunday evening's rain and heavy rain over the past several months, Patoka Lake will...
Sports car clubs from across Kentucky and Southern Indiana came together in Jasper on Saturday...
At an age when most women decide to retire from the sport, Joanie Mundy of Huntingburg decided...
Recently, I came to terms with the fact that I am a son who’ll never be as successful as his...