Jasper firefighters handle weekend runsJanuary 14, 2020
From Local Sources
JASPER — Members of the Jasper Volunteer Fire Department logged six fire runs during the weekend.
The first, at 2:44 p.m. Friday, involved an alarm activation at Jasper High School, 1600 St. Charles St.
Fire Chief Kenny Hochgesang said the problem was traced to a faulty smoke detector in an elevator mechanical room. The issue was left to school maintenance staff to correct.
Two trucks and 25 firefighters were on the scene 15 minutes.
Next, at 5:02 p.m., the department was called to the Dubois Apartments, 452 W. 43rd St.
Hochgesang said an incense stick laid on top of a plastic bathroom light panel started a fire in an apartment’s bathroom that was out when units arrived. Firefighters exhausted heavy smoke in the building.
Three trucks and 24 firefighters were on the scene 25 minutes.
Then, at 11:08 p.m., an alarm sounded at Indiana Furniture Industries, 1224 Mill St.
There was no fire, Hochgesang said, adding that the problem was a faulty flow switch in a sprinkler system riser pipe.
Four trucks and 16 firefighters were on the scene 30 minutes.
At 10:46 a.m. Saturday, the department was called to the Calumet, 2210 Mill St.
There was no fire, according to the chief. Instead, he said, a smoke detector was experiencing a moisture issue.
Four trucks and 45 firefighters were on the scene 20 minutes.
At 9:48 p.m., after the system had again been placed online, the alarm experienced the same problem, with three trucks and 16 firefighters responding for 15 minutes.
Finally, at 12:16 p.m. Sunday, the department was called to a dumpster fire at Hometown IGA, 750 Second St.
The cause of that fire was not initially evident.
Two trucks and 22 firefighters were on the scene 30 minutes.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari’s newest marquee attraction is the first of its kind — a...
The county's plan for reopening will follow the state's plan.
The Dubois County Health Department reported today one new COVID-19 case.
A little bowtie-clad hamster named Harry Hugger is here to teach children about the COVID-19...
Dubois County Democratic Chairman Mike Kendall said he still stands behind Mikayla Granados’...
The Dubois County Health Department today reported no new COVID-19 cases.
In just under a year, the Tri-County YMCA in Ferdinand will be 50% larger. It held a...
The Dubois County Health Department reported today two new COVID-19 cases.