Jasper firefighters go to home, school, 2 businesses

From Local Sources

JASPER — Members of the Jasper Volunteer Fire Department had several fire calls during the holiday weekend and one callout early today.

The activity began Friday night after a storm had passed through Jasper, according to Fire Chief Kenny Hochgesang.

Firefighters were called to Steve and Marsha Stallings’ 3694 Newton St. residence at 5:55 p.m. Friday when the residents smelled smoke. Hochgesang said the only damage appeared to be a television affected by what may have been a power surge.

Two trucks and 12 firefighters were on the scene 15 minutes.

Then, at 9:53 p.m. Sunday, the department answered an alarm activation at Jasper High School, 1600 St. Charles St.

There was no fire, Hochgesang said, only a faulty detector in the air handling system.

Three trucks and 18 firefighters were on the scene 30 minutes.

Next, at 2:51 p.m. Monday, the department responded to Cash Saver Market, 3605 Newton St., where shoppers were evacuated after the smell of smoke was noticed.

Firefighters found the motor on a refrigeration unit had failed. Hochgesang said the malfunctioning unit was unplugged and removed.

Six trucks and 26 firefighters were on the scene 30 minutes.

Finally, at 7:30 a.m. today, the department was notified of a water flow alarm in the Walmart Supercenter garden center, 4040 N. Newton St.

There was no fire, Hochgesang said. Instead, firefighters found a malfunctioning valve in the sprinkler system. No water was discharged.

Four trucks and 27 firefighters spent 15 minutes at the location.




More on DuboisCountyHerald.com