Indiana U. bans athletes with sexual violence pastApril 21, 2017
By The Associated Press
BLOOMINGTON — Indiana University will no longer admit student-athletes with a history of sexual or domestic violence.
The Indianapolis Star reports the athletics department policy was approved this month. It bans prospective student-athletes from athletics-related financial aid, practice and competition if they have been “convicted of or pleaded guilty or no contest to a felony involving sexual violence.” That includes transfer students and incoming freshman.
The policy defines sexual violence as “dating violence, domestic violence, rape, sexual assault or sexual violence as defined by the Indiana University policy on sexual misconduct.”
The new policy, the brainchild of Athletic Director Fred Glass, comes amid heightened scruitiny of how schools handle sexual and domestic violence involving college athletes. Indiana University dismissed freshman football player Kiante Enis within hours of his September arrest on child molesting charges. Enis has pleaded not guilty to having an improper relationship with a girl under age 13.
In 2015, the Southeastern Conference banned member institutions from accepting transfer students with a history of serious misconduct, including sexual and domestic assault. Indiana University’s conference, the Big Ten, has so far left decisions to individual institutions.
“I think it’s new ground,” Glass said. “My hope is that we’re leading in this area, and maybe others will follow with, maybe not the exact same policy, but one that fits their particular institutions.”
Glass has been at the forefront of trying to find the best way to handle sexual assault investigations involving student athletes. In crafting the new policy, he consulted with the university’s Office of Student Welfare and Title IX, its Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, the university’s faculty athletics representative Kurt Zorn and athletic department head coaches.
The policy includes an appellate process, where an appeal would go before a committee comprised of school officials outside the athletics department, which Glass said was key.
Another school policy remains about suspending current student-athletes accused of a sexually violent crime from competition until the matter is resolved.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Reports of fresh slide-off accidents arrived this morning, accompanying new rounds of snow...
Danny Schnell will begin his trek Jan. 24 and hopes to arrive in New Orleans Feb. 9.
Twenty-nine coyotes were harvested in the weekend hunt, sponsored by The Great Outdoors.
Visitors spent roughly $89 million in Dubois County in 2016.
Nathan Jones runs Wild Serenade Ranch, which sits on 130 acres between Stendal and Zoar. The...
Fire destroyed a full-size van parked outside a Jasper residence this morning.
Firefighters with the Jasper Volunteer Fire Department, backed by tanker assistance from other...
Dubois County received high marks for the way it weathered winter’s first icy punch.