Huntingburg firefighters have back-to-back runsSeptember 27, 2019
From Local Sources
HUNTINGBURG — Units of the Huntingburg Volunteer Fire Department responded to a pair of runs logged minutes apart Wednesday afternoon.
The first call, at 1:32 p.m., was to the report of smoke inside Carlos Mendez’s upstairs apartment at 108 N. Jackson St., according to department fire investigator John C. Smith.
Firefighters tracked the smoke to an electric stove that apparently malfunctioned, turned itself on and overheated. No food was being cooked at the time, according to Smith.
Firefighters disconnected power to the appliance and ventilated smoke.
Mendez was home to notice the smoke. Smith said firefighters found two smoke alarms in the unit. One did not have batteries and the other, designed to be powered by the residence’s electric service, was not connected.
Two trucks and 14 firefighters were on the scene 30 minutes.
Four minutes after firefighters were called to Mendez’s apartment — at 1:36 p.m. — the department was notified on an alarm activation at Southridge High School, 1110 S. Main St.
Firefighters arrived and learned the hot water in a utility sink had been left running, with the buildup of steam setting off a sensor.
Two trucks and 12 firefighters were on the scene 15 minutes.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Homestead BBQ opened in Ferdinand earlier this month.
As a radio man and regular Jasper High School Athletic Department emcee, it’s rare for Bob...
Before the Northeast Dubois Marching Jeeps began what could have been their final performance of...
Kira Jones was named Miss Flame during the Indiana Volunteer Firefighter Association’s...
Despite having a visual impairment that causes her eyes to constantly dance back and forth,...
Springs Valley Bank & Trust Company has donated $50,000 to the Tri-County YMCA’s Reimagine...
Before the season began, some wondered if the Northeast Dubois Marching Jeeps — who have...
Contract negotiations that began in May are ongoing between Memorial Hospital and Health Care...