Gas workers notice Huntingburg home fire

Photos by Kayla Renie/The Herald
The Huntingburg Fire Department responds to a house fire on the 100 block of North Geiger Street in Huntingburg on Friday.

From Local Sources

HUNTINGBURG — Huntingburg Municipal Utilities’ gas personnel working in the area are credited with alerting authorities and home occupants to a residential fire Friday morning.

The city workers investigated a smell and saw smoke coming from the eaves of the Rene and Lorena Mora home at 107 N. Geiger St. at 7:54 a.m., according to Fire Chief Scott Patberg with the Huntingburg Volunteer Fire Department.

The gas department personnel knocked on the Moras’ door and contacted authorities once they had ensured occupants were safely out.

Patberg said the fire that was likely electrical in nature was contained to a family room. There was roof, rafter and ceiling damage, but the house can be repaired, according to the chief.

The Moras indicated they could temporarily stay with family.

Four trucks and 18 firefighters were on the scene for just under two hours.

The Huntingburg Police Department and Memorial Hospital Emergency Medical Services assisted.

Smoke rises from the roof of a house fire on the 100 block of North Geiger Street in Huntingburg on Friday.



More on DuboisCountyHerald.com