Heile, Lange seek Southwest school board seatOctober 30, 2018
By LEANN BURKE
Two seats on the Southwest Dubois County School Board will appear on ballots this November.
Current board member Leslie Petry is running uncontested for the District 1 seat after Chris Neu, who currently holds the seat, opted not to run for re-election. Petry is moving into the district, and Neu didn’t want to run against a fellow board member. Belinda Lange and Jason Heile are running against each other for Petry’s now-open District 3 seat, which covers the Holland area.
Heile chose to run when he heard the seat would be opening because he has three kids at Holland Elementary. He believes the schools are well run, but he wanted to take the opportunity to get on the board and see behind the scenes.
“I can’t see making too many changes right off the bat,” Heile said. “I want to get in there and see what’s going on, then make decisions based off that.”
Heile grew up in Milan, Indiana. His wife, Cassie, is a Dubois County native, though, and the couple has lived in the area for 12 years.
Heile has made a career as an engineer with the Indiana Department of Transportation, working in Dubois and Daviess counties. His background in government work afforded him experience with grant writing, which he thinks will be an asset to the board if he is elected.
Like Heile, Lange isn’t seeking the board position with an agenda.
“I think the school [district] is in a great position now,” Lange said.
Running for the school board has been something she’s thought of doing for awhile, Lange said, but it never seemed like the right time until now. Her schedule has been full with volunteer work, as she holds positions on several boards in the community. Some of those terms are ending, she said, so now seemed like the time to run for school board. Her main focus will be on making sure the school district succeeds.
“I want to see it succeed, because that translates to a successful community,” Lange said.
She’s interested in helping the corporation continue to incorporate technology into lessons. If elected, she’d also bring years of experience as a certified public accountant to the board.
Lange is a lifelong Dubois County resident, save for the years she went to accounting school at Indiana University. She graduated from Southridge High School in 1994 and has served as a member of the Southridge Football Boosters. She and her husband, Jason Lange, have two children, Samantha, who is a freshman at IU, and Luke, a Southridge sophomore.
Other local races include:
• U.S. Senate (Mike Braun / Lucy Brenton / Joe Donnelly)
• District 8 U.S. Representative (Larry Bucshon / William Tanoos)
• Indiana Senate 47 (Erin Houchin / Nick Siler)
• Indiana House 63 (Joe Lannan / Shane Lindauer)
• Indiana House 74 (Steve Bartels / Larry Kleeman)
• Dubois County Sheriff (Tom Kleinhelter / Tim Lampert)
• Dubois County Clerk (Amy Kippenbrock / Kiersten Knies)
• Dubois County Recorder (Jackie McPherron / Gail Reutman)
• Dubois County Assessor (Eve Drew / Angie Giesler)
• Dubois County Council District 2 (Becky Beckman / Darren Patterson)
• Dubois County Council District 3 (Charmain Klem / Deborah Major)
• Cass Township Advisory Board (Lee Bilderback / Randy Boehm / Steve Eckert / Lisa Matthews)
• Patoka Township Trustee (Don Astrike / Jeff Summers)
• Madison Township Trustee (Scott Blazey / Brett Collignon)
• Southwest Dubois School Board (Jason Heile / Belinda Lange)
• Greater Jasper School Board (Jimmy Corbin / Ken Schnaus)
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Mya Englert, the winner of Forest Park Junior-Senior High School's Poetry Out Loud competition,...
When Jackson Wilhite, a 2012 Heritage Hills High School graduate, was in fifth grade, he had the...
As both postman and family man, Matt Lorey delivers.
A Jasper man received one of the state’s highest honors on Thursday night.
Shirley J. Ray believes we need to learn every day. As the first-ever director of the Dubois...
Work to add campsites, extend trails and build a restroom/information building could start at...
A one-room schoolhouse that educated generations of Dubois County residents has finally come...
A bill that is moving through the Indiana Senate would extend the statute of limitations for...