Haysville tackles Martin County house fireAugust 27, 2019
From Local Sources
LOOGOOTEE — Units of the Haysville Volunteer Fire Department fought a residential fire south of Loogootee that temporarily displaced the home’s occupant Sunday.
Fire Chief John Fuhrman said the department was called to 6626 N. U.S. 231, just north of Lingenfelter Road, at 11:02 a.m. The home is owned by Claire Smith and occupied by her son, Robert Smith.
Fuhrman said the occupant had been cleaning in the basement. He put a cigarette butt in a soda can and placed the can in a garbage bag.
It is thought the cigarette but ignited trash in the bag, then spread to a sectional couch. The occupant, who had gone upstairs, saw smoke and called the fire department.
Fuhrman said the basement and its drywall was significantly damaged but the home can be repaired.
There were no injuries.
Two Haysville trucks and 11 firefighters responded, as did a Loogootee Volunteer Fire Department pumper and about four firefighters. They were on the scene two hours.
A Memorial Hospital Emergency Medical Services ambulance was called to be on standby.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Here’s a riddle for you. Next week, a boy will celebrate his 10th birthday, making him the...
Danny Barnett just wants his life back. He wants to go back to work. He wants to wake up in the...
This weekend, Jasper cheerleading teams will compete in the biggest cheerleading contest.
It was early afternoon on a Friday, and Southridge Middle School teacher Tiffany Neuhoff was...
School had ended for the day, but sounds of creation still echoed through the halls of Holy...
The City of Huntingburg is trying to do something with a former gas station on U.S. 231 that has...
Expanding and updating justice system facilities, and renovating the courthouse were discussed...
The Herald photography staff earned 16 awards this weekend at the Indiana News Photographers...