Haysville-area trailer fire displaces 5January 31, 2019
By BILL POWELL
HAYSVILLE — A woman and four children were displaced after a fire this morning in the trailer they rented southeast of Haysville.
Units of the Haysville Volunteer Fire Department were called to 6370 N. Kellerville Road at 7:30 a.m. after a passerby reported smoke coming from the mobile home south of State Road 56.
A member of the Dubois County Sheriff’s Department who was first on the scene reported the trailer was full of smoke. No one was home at the time of the fire.
“That’s a good thing,” said Assistant Fire Chief Shane Fawks.
Fawks said the fire’s point of origin was a clogged dryer vent. The renter who returned to the scene this morning, Laura Mattingly, said the home’s dryer shut off around 6 a.m., before the occupants left.
Fawks said the fire apparently smoldered before burning into an interior space where a hot water heater was located. There was a small amount of fire coming from the hot water heater room when firefighters arrived, according to Fawks.
There was fire damage to two rooms and enough heat, smoke and water damage to render the trailer a total loss, according to the assistant chief.
“It’s not livable any more, that’s for sure,” Fawks said.
Fire Chief John Fuhrman said the trailer and property are owned by James Meyer.
The American Red Cross was contacted to address the occupants’ immediate needs.
Three trucks and 15 firefighters were on the scene for an hour and a half.
Members of the Dubois Rural Electric Cooperative, Dubois Water Corp. and Memorial Hospital Emergency Medical Services assisted.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Several local Girl Scout troops gathered outside Redeemer Lutheran Church in Jasper Monday...
Digging into old documents and scouring through the past, Rosie Stewart does most of her work...
Former Ferdinand resident Melissa Taylor recently achieved a personal goal of visiting all 50...
An emergency medical helicopter service is looking to relocate to the Huntingburg Airport. But...
Homestead BBQ opened in Ferdinand earlier this month.
As a radio man and regular Jasper High School Athletic Department emcee, it’s rare for Bob...
Before the Northeast Dubois Marching Jeeps began what could have been their final performance of...
Kira Jones was named Miss Flame during the Indiana Volunteer Firefighter Association’s...