Grease fire damages Huntingburg home

From Local Sources

HUNTINGBURG — A Huntingburg home sustained damage Monday morning when cooking activity resulted in a grease fire.

Units of the Huntingburg Volunteer Fire Department responded to the report of a structure fire at 8:59 a.m., according to Assistant Chief Glen Kissling. The location was the Patricia D. Hawes residence at 919 Clay St.

Kissling said Hawes’ son, William Hawes, was attempting to cook for a 4-year-old at the residence when hot grease that was left unattended erupted into a fire.

An initial knockdown of the flames was credited to Huntingburg Police Department officers who came to the scene.

Firefighters removed some ceiling tiles to insure there were no hidden hot spots and there was additional heavy damage to the area around the stove.

Insurance should cover the damage, which Kissling estimated at about $6,000.

Three trucks and 15 firefighters were on the scene for about an hour effecting a cleanup.

Memorial Hospital Emergency Medical Services also assisted.

Then, at 11:18 a.m., the department was notified of a manual pull alarm at OFS Brands’ Plant No. 8, 1008 N. Chestnut St.

There was no fire associated with the alarm activation, according to Fire Chief Scott Patberg. Instead, a fire pull alarm station at the plant was accidentally struck during construction activity.

Two trucks and 10 firefighters were on the scene 10 minutes.

Earlier, at 5:01 p.m. Sunday, the department responded to an alarm activation at Old Town Hall, 309 N. Geiger St.

That call was chalked up to a faulty alarm, according to Patberg.

Three trucks and 12 firefighters were on the scene 15 minutes.




More on DuboisCountyHerald.com