Governor announces $25M in relief for rentersJune 25, 2020
By The Associated Press
INDIANAPOLIS — Indiana will use $25 million in federal relief funding to help Hoosiers struggling to pay rent due to the impact of coronavirus outbreak, Gov. Eric Holcomb announced Wednesday.
The Indiana COVID-19 Rental Assistance Program will provide up to $500 in assistance for four months for a maximum of $2,000 in aid to eligible renters to help cover past and ongoing rent payments or late fees, a news release said. Rental assistance will be available to residents in all Indiana counties except Marion, which operates its own rental aid program.
“This has been a very challenging time for Hoosiers, and the economic impacts of COVID-19 has left some renters in a tough spot,” Holcomb said in the release. “The Indiana COVID-19 Rental Assistance Program will support our renters, improve our state’s housing stability and help prevent evictions as the state gets back on track.”
Eligible renters must meet the following criteria: losing their job or some income due to COVID-19; current household income, including unemployment assistance, is less than the household income on March 6; and have not received rental assistance from another source.
Approximately 12,000 Indiana households could be helped, the release said. Payments will be made directly to the landlord, and the landlord must agree to participate.
Applications will be accepted online beginning Monday, July 13 at www.indianahousingnow.org.
Holcomb also said Wednesday he will extend through July an executive order to protect renters from being evicted due to the COVID-19 state of emergency. Holcomb signed an executive order April 1 to protect renters through June 30.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
The Indiana State Department of Health has reported 68 new COVID-19 cases in Dubois County since...
With a set of twins and triplets and six other kids, Adam and Nikkia Anders of Birdseye never...
The Indiana State Department of Health reported Friday 12 new cases of COVID-19 in Dubois County.
It all started with a path through the woods. Just over 20 years ago, Dave Buehler’s vision...
The Indiana State Department of Health reported Thursday 19 new cases of COVID-19 in Dubois County.
Plans for creating a countywide trail master plan are slowly progressing.
After receiving a favorable recommendation from the Jasper Utility Service Board earlier this...
The Indiana State Department of Health reported Wednesday Dubois County's 26th COVID-19 death,...