Four Downs: 9/5September 5, 2013
Wildcats @ Pioneers
Teams: Class 4A No. 2 Jasper (2-0, 1-1 Big Eight Conference) at Boonville (0-2, 0-1), 8 p.m. EDT Friday, Bennett Field
Series: Jasper leads 49-10.
Last meeting: The Wildcats routed the Pioneers twice last year in Jasper — 49-0 in the regular season and 50-13 in the sectional opener.
1. Jasper is 2-0 for the fifth consecutive season. The Wildcats have won their first two games in 33 of the program’s 61 seasons. They have been 3-0 in 24 seasons.
2. Cole Kreilein (Jr., LB) finished with 71â„2 tackles in last week’s win over Southridge. Spencer Otto (Sr., DE) added 61â„2, and Brayden Betz (Sr., DB) and Scott Stallwood (Sr., DB) both contributed five for a unit that limited Southridge to 3.6 yards per rush.
3. Nolan Ahrens (Jr., QB) has completed 71 percent of his passes. Last year, Ahrens’ accuracy rate was 51 percent. Ahrens is yet throw an interception for a Wildcat offense that hasn’t committed a turnover this season.
4. In Boonville’s multi-pronged rushing scheme, Ryan Nance (Soph., QB) netted 111 yards in a season-opening 21-0 win over Washington. Andrew Castleman (Sr., RB) totaled 57 yards last Friday at Vincennes Lincoln, though Nance and Kenton Cottrell (Jr., QB) combined to complete just 2-of-7 passes with three interceptions, the last of which ended the Pioneers’ final drive and sealed the 18-13 Boonville loss.
Rangers @ Raiders
Teams: Forest Park (0-2, 0-1 Pocket Athletic Conference) at Southridge (1-1, 0-0), 7:30 p.m. Friday, Raider Field
Series: Southridge leads 4-1.
Last meeting: Last season in Ferdinand, Southridge steamed to a 41-0 victory.
1. Southridge has not dropped back-to-back games since 2010, when the Raiders fell to Jasper and Forest Park in consecutive weeks. Southridge has lost two in a row just twice since 2005 and has not lost three in a row since early in the 2003 season.
2. Luke Stetter (Jr., QB) racked up 167 passing yards last week at Jasper, the most by a Raider since Broc Roesner accumulated 173 yards against Gibson Southern in 2010. He’s averaging 18.5 yards per completion. Stetter already has as many TD passes (four) as he totaled last season. With 97 receiving yards, Cody Thompson (Sr., WR) already has more than any Raider a year ago.
3. Josh Voegerl (Sr., RB), Noah Braunecker (Jr., RB) and Josh Franchville (Soph., RB) all have 90 or more rushing yards for Forest Park. They’ve followed holes created by Jared Wilgus (Sr., T), Jarrett Hopf (Soph., T), Blake McCain (Soph., G), Justin Cline (Soph., G) and Evan Weyer (Fr., C).
4. Each of Forest Park’s next six opponents has allowed at least 28 points in a game this season, and all have already lost at least once.
Chargers @ Patriots
Teams: Pike Central (0-2, 0-0 Pocket Athletic Conference) at Heritage Hills (0-2, 0-1), 6:30 p.m. CDT Friday, Patriot Field
Series: Heritage Hills leads 40-1.
Last meeting: Heritage Hills pounded its way to a 56-7 win last September in Petersburg.
1. Heritage Hills has not started a season with three consecutive losses since 1984 and has not been three games under .500 since 1989. The Patriots have lost three consecutive games in just five seasons — 2012, 1984, ’81, ’76 and ’74.
2. Gabe Konerding (Sr., RB) has rumbled for 233 rushing yards, eclipsing the 1,000-yard mark for his career. The Pats haven’t had a 1,000-yard back in a season since Cole Seifrig in 2002. Konerding is averaging 23.5 carries per game; last season, he averaged 11.2 carries per contest.
3. Konerding (LB), Aaron Boehm (Sr., DE), Zach Jones (Jr., LB) and Jacob Wilson (Jr., LB) all posted five or more tackles last week at Tell City. The Pats limited the Marksmen to 10 first downs and 212 yards of offense.
4. Pike Central lost 79-8 to North Knox and 52-24 to Princeton. Kegan Aldridge (Sr., RB) pounded Prince-ton with 226 rushing yards and Pike Central led 24-16 at halftime before Princeton unleashed 36 consecutive points. The Chargers ran for 346 yards as a team but threw only two passes; one was incomplete and the other was intercepted.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Austin Schnuck found himself among the elite divers in Indiana on Saturday at the IUPUI...
A breakdown of the teams playing in the Class 1A sectional at Wood Memorial High School.
A breakdown of the teams playing in the Class 2A sectional at Huntingburg Memorial Gym.
A breakdown of the teams playing in the Class 3A sectional at Pioneer Stadium in Boonville.
A breakdown of the teams playing in the Class 3A sectional at the Hatchet House in Washington.
Griffen Bauer still remembers that nervous feeling. After a summer spent preparing for a...
Just from Forest Park coach Jeff Litherland’s reaction, you can tell how tough the workouts are.
A chunk of the Heritage Hills boys basketball team has been a part of some kind of mythical...