Four Downs: 10/25October 25, 2012
Wildcats @ Owls
Teams: Class 4A No. 2 Jasper (9-0) at
Seymour (5-5), 7 p.m. Friday, Bulleitt Stadium
Series: first meeting
1. Jasper is one of 13 teams in the state that hasn’t lost. The only other Class 4A squad without a loss is No. 1 Columbus East. This season marks the 15th time the Cats have logged double-digit victories. In the program’s 60 seasons, Jasper has lost more than two games only 26 times.
2. Nolan Ahrens (Soph., QB) has not thrown an interception in his last 96 pass attempts and his two pickoffs this season are tied with Luke Rogers (2010) and J.T. Stenftenagel (2006) for the lowest this century among QBs with at least 70 attempts. Ahrens has spread his 12 TD tosses among six receivers and guided an offense that’s committed only seven turnovers.
3. Evan Vonderheide (Sr., C), Adam Klem (Sr., T), Nathan Leibering (Sr., T), Mitch May (Sr., G), Neil Rose (Jr., G), Collin Bowlin (Soph., T), Dillon Wagner (Sr., TE) and Austin Alles (Soph., TE) comprise an offensive line that’s helped the Cats average 5.5 yards per carry, the top mark since 2009.
4. Amid Seymour’s four-game winning streak, coach Jeff Richey resigned, effective at the end of the season. In his nine years, the Owls have had one winning season.
From 1997 through 2001, Seymour went 51-12 with three sectional titles. The Owls edged Evansville Harrison 65-58 last week for their first sectional win since 2006 as Austin Sutton (Jr., QB) threw for 368 yards and six TDs. Logan Richey (Jr., WR), the coach’s grandson, caught four TDs, including the game-winner with 3:55 to play. Tanner Belcher (Sr., RB/WR) returned a kickoff for a TD. But Harrison ran for 529 yards.
Rangers @ Rebels
Teams: Forest Park (1-8) at South Spencer (4-6), 7:30 p.m. EDT Friday, Fred Ayer Field
Series: South Spencer leads 7-0.
Last meeting: South Spencer won 47-10 at Ferdinand on Sept. 28, scoring the game’s final 27 points.
1. Forest Park is angling for the program’s second postseason victory. The 2010 squad won its sectional opener, beating Tell City 42-27 on the road. Friday will mark the Rangers’ third sectional clash with South Spencer. The Rebels won the first two — 15-7 in 2008 in Reo and 14-0 last season in Ferdinand.
2. Josh Voegerl (Jr., RB) ran for 145 yards in the regular-season game against South Spencer, but he is expected to miss Friday’s game because of concussion symptoms.
3. Nathan Libbert (Sr., DT), Justin Sitzman (Jr., DT), Jared Wilgus (Jr., DE) and Jason Brier (Jr., DE) are the first line of defense in a unit that’s forced multiple turnovers in four games this season and eight turnovers in the last four games.
4. South Spencer survived Friday at Sullivan when Denver Burden (Sr., RB) scored on a 10-yard run to give the Rebels a 6-0 overtime win. Sullivan missed two short field goals — one at the end of regulation and another in OT. Burden ran for 96 yards, and 280-pound Alex Nelson (Sr., DT) helped limit Sullivan to 38 rushing yards.
Burden rushed for 71 yards and three TDs in the regular-season meeting with Forest Park, while Cole Woodburn (Sr., QB) threw for 111 yards. A.J. Kempf (Sr., WR/DB) scored on an interception and pass reception. The Rebels have won four of their last five, limiting their four victims to a total of 27 points.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
The Dubois County Bombers have won 15 of their first 17 games thanks in part to the animal...
A change in leadership will be the theme next season as three local baseball coaches recently...
In summer league baseball, where the roster turns over year after year after year, it’s vital...
Terry Gobert has a hypothesis, and it’s that defeats deep in the baseball postseason sting...
South Bend St. Joseph blocked Jasper’s early scoring chances then capitalized on its limited...
You can point to any number of things in the stuffed portfolio of Evan Aders to explain how he...
Whether it was a few minutes or a few hours after, it didn’t take long for seniors on the...
No team had shut out Jasper all season and no opponent had reached the Wildcats for more than...