Four Downs: 10/17October 17, 2013
Wildcats @ Wildcats
Teams: Mount Vernon (3-5, 3-2 Big Eight) at Class 4A No. 6 Jasper (7-1, 4-1), 8 p.m. Friday, Jerry Brewer Alumni Stadium
Series: Jasper leads 54-2.
Last meeting: Jasper rolled 36-0 last year.
1. To snag a piece of the Big Eight title, Jasper needs a win coupled with a Boonville upset of Mount Carmel. The Cats haven’t lost to a Big Eight team at home since falling to Vincennes Lincoln in 2004, a string that spans 21 games.
2. Nolan Ahrens (Jr., QB) needs 64 passing yards to break the program single-season record of 1,572 set by his brother, Austin, in 2008. Nolan’s total of 2,706 already ranks second in Wildcat history and trails only Austin’s 4,428.
3. Jasper has turned the ball over only five times. Nick Hale (Sr., RB), Ben Moore (Jr,, RB), Ian Songer (Jr., FB) and Ahrens have combined for 232 carries, but the Cats have lost just one fumble. Jasper hasn’t had fewer than five lost fumbles or nine total turnovers since 2003.
4. Mount Vernon hasn’t limited Jasper to fewer than 33 points since 2001. Austin Guthrie (Jr., RB) ran for 125 yards in Friday’s 26-19 loss to Princeton. The Wildcats beat Vincennes Lincoln, Washington and Boonville — teams with a combined 3-21 record.
Titans @ Raiders
Teams: Class 3A No. 2 Gibson Southern (8-0, 6-0 PAC) at Class 2A No. 4 Southridge (7-1, 6-0), 7:30 p.m. Friday, Raider Field
Series: Southridge leads 20-7.
Last meeting: Southridge won 35-21 last season in Fort Branch.
1. Friday’s game will settle the PAC crown. Seven of Southridge’s eight titles were shared. The Raiders have gone perfect in PAC games and won an outright title once — 1985.
2. Jacob Mundy (Sr., LB) posted seven solo tackles last week, while Ethan Schwoeppe (Sr., DT), Alex Merkel (Sr., DT) and Alex Householder (Sr., DB) each added five for a defense that’s allowed its last three opponents to rush for 2.4 yards per carry.
3. On rushes, receptions and returns, Connor Craig (Jr., RB) gains 16.9 yards each time he carries the ball. He’s scored a TD on nearly 20 percent of his touches.
4. On rushes, receptions and returns, Connor Craig (Jr., RB) gains 16.9 yards each time he carries the ball. He’s scored a TD on nearly 20 percent of his touches. Gibson Southern’s 50.6 ppg rank 11th in the state. Tell City is the only team to limit the Titans to fewer than 45 points, but Gibson Southern won 35-14 on Friday as Nick Sellers (Jr., QB) ran for two TDs and passed for 182 yards. Griffin Scheller (Soph., DB) returned an interception for a TD, but the Titans gave up 265 rushing yards. The Titan offensive line averages 252 pounds.
Rangers @ Marksmen
Teams: Forest Park (2-6, 1-5 PAC) at Tell City (5-3, 3-3), 7:30 p.m. EDT Friday, Legion Field
Series: Tied at 3.
Last meeting: Forest Park lost 26-0 at home last October.
1. In the six clashes between Forest Park and Tell City, the total points scored isn’t far from even — the Rangers have outscored the Marksmen 132-118. At Legion Field, the Rangers have outscored the Marksmen 76-72.
2. Dakota Begle (Sr., K) has booted a field goal in three consecutive games. Of the 10 successful field goals in program history, Begle has kicked eight.
3. Austin Egloff (Sr., DE), Jared Wilgus (Sr., DT), Justin Cline (Soph., DE), Jarrett Hopf (Soph., DT) comprise a defensive line that has allowed 66 rushing yards per game in the Rangers’ two wins.
4. Tell City is aiming for its first winning season since 2006. The Marksmen fell 35-14 to Gibson Southern on Friday but are the only team to limit the Titans to fewer than 45 points. Elliot Brown (Jr., RB) raced for 199 yards on Friday and dented Forest Park for 141 yards last fall. Brennan Malone (Sr., QB) completed two passes last year against the Rangers, but both were long TDs to Spenser Beard (Jr., WR).
Patriots @ Rebels
Teams: Heritage Hills (2-6, 2-4 PAC) at South Spencer (6-2, 4-2), 7 p.m. CDT Friday, Fred Ayer Field
Series: Heritage Hills leads 31-11.
Last meeting: Heritage Hills pounded its chief rival 45-8 a year ago at “The Jungle.”
1. Every team in Heritage Hills history has won at least three games. Only the 1974, 1975, 1976 and 1989 teams did not win at least five games.
2. Kenton Crews (Soph., WR/DB) will return to full capacity Friday. Gabe Konerding (Sr., RB/LB) will play defense but his availability on offense is questionable. Aaron Boehm (Sr., OL/DE) is scheduled to return, while Andy Sickbert (Sr., OL/DE) might play. Harold Sunderman (Jr., DT) and Davis
Jochim (Jr., DE) remain sidelined by injuries.
3. Jacob Pund (Soph., RB) tripled his output for carries and yards Friday. With 153 rushing yards, he’s third on the team.
4. South Spencer has won three straight, thumping Pike Central, Forest Park and Boonville by a total count of 139-33. The Rebels have lost to only Gibson Southern (50-13) and Southridge (33-0). Friday against Boonville, Jake Burden (Jr., RB) ran for 205 yards and Malin Webb (Sr., QB) passed for 202 yards. Isiah Stokes (Jr., WR) scored on a punt return, kick return and pass.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
It’s been a roller coaster senior year for Tucker Schank.
The three-point shot can be one of the most beautiful sights in a game of basketball — it...
It’s time to break out the singlets and mats as the wrestling season is upon us here in Dubois...
Whatever way you look at it, Colson Montgomery is a star.
Brock and Kathy Bawel of Jasper competed in the 2018 Lucas Oil AQHA World Championship American...
Amid the madness of the postgame celebration, Southridge senior Tucker Schank took a break to...
Friday night was the start of basketball season for both the Northeast Dubois and Heritage Hills...
Early on in Thursday night’s girls basketball game between conference foes Tell City and...