Four Downs: 10/10October 10, 2013
Wildcats @ Hatchets
Teams: Class 4A No. 6 Jasper (6-1, 3-1 Big Eight) at Washington (0-7, 0-5), 7:30 p.m. EDT Friday, Hatchet Hollow
Series: Jasper leads 54-4.
Last meeting: The Wildcats dulled the Hatchets 47-16 in a downpour last October at home.
1. Jasper has not lost consecutive Big Eight games since 2003 with a 22-19 setback at Boonville and 10-7 defeat at Vincennes Lincoln. The Cats haven’t given up more than 20 points in back-to-back Big Eight games since 2008 against Washington and Mount Carmel.
2. Zach Wood (Sr., WR) has caught at least two passes in every game and needs four more receptions to become the first Wildcat to snag at least 40 passes in a season since Chris Schmidt’s 47 receptions in 2002. Schmidt, Jimmy Corbin (47 in 1998) and Larry Giesler (48 in 1973 and a school-record 61 in 1974) hold the top program’s four spots for receptions in a season.
3. Scott Stallwood (Sr., DB), Brayden Betz (Sr., DB) and Grant Theil (Soph., DB) all accumulated five or more solo tackles in last week’s loss at Mount Carmel.
4. Washington has been outscored by at least 19 points in every game and allows 44.9 points per game. Jaden Arvin (Sr., RB) rushed for 141 yards in Friday’s 34-15 loss to Vincennes and has 881 yards this season. Hurt by a lack of depth, the Hatchets had only 21 players at practice Tuesday.
Chargers @ Raiders
Teams: Pike Central (1-6, 1-4 Pocket Athletic) at Class 2A No. 7 Southridge (6-1, 5-0), 7:30 p.m. Friday, Raider Field
Series: Southridge leads 35-4.
Last meeting: The Raiders posted a 36-6 victory last season in Petersburg.
1. Southridge and Gibson Southern are the only two PAC teams without a league loss. They’ll clash in the regular-season finale next week. Friday, the Raiders meet a Pike Central program they haven’t lost to since 1990 while the Titans have to deal with resurgent Tell City.
2. Southridge averages 321 rushing yards per game. The only other Raider team this century to net more than 300 yards per game was the 2001 squad, which rumbled for 306 yards per contest. Logan Sollman (Sr., C), Ethan Schwoeppe (Sr., T), Alex Merkel (Sr., G), Andy Fischer (Sr., G), Javi Canales (Jr., T), Bryce Harter (Jr., G), Cody Thompson (Sr., TE), Beau Schneider (Sr., TE) and Brett Nordhoff (Jr., TE) contribute to an offensive line that clears the way.
3. Linebackers Schneider, Nordhoff, Jacob Mundy (Sr.) and Aidan Michel (Sr.) have helped limit Raider foes to 124 rushing yards per game and 3.9 yards per carry.
4. Pike Central allows 46.9 points per game and has limited only Forest Park to fewer than 48 points. In that 22-7 win against the Rangers, Chase Eaton (Sr., QB) ran for 213 yards and Kegan Aldridge (Sr., RB) added 70.
Patriots @ Rangers
Teams: Heritage Hills (2-5, 2-3 Pocket Athletic) at Forest Park (1-6, 0-5), 8 p.m. EDT Friday, Ranger Field
Series: Heritage Hills has won all five contests.
Last meeting: Heritage Hills won 28-7 last fall in Lincoln City.
1. Five of Forest Park’s foes have already won at least five games. All of those teams — Gibson Southern, Southridge, Perry Central, Tell City and South Spencer — are ranked in the top 15 in their respective class.
2. Heritage Hills’ opponents have an aggregate record of 34-15. In terms of opponents’ winning percentage, only Benton Central and Pendelton Heights have played a more difficult schedule.
3. Josh Voegerl (Sr., RB) topped 1,200 career rushing yards last week. The only other Rangers with more are 2010 graduate Craig Voges, who holds the record with 1,537 yards, and Travis Schnell, a 2013 grad with 1,417 yards. Voegerl totaled 97 yards at Heritage Hills last season.
4. Paced by Logan Wilkerson (Jr., QB), the Pats have averaged 185 passing yards per game the last four weeks. Receivers Logan Steckler (Sr.), Sean Schaefer (Jr.), Caleb Sabelhaus (Sr.), Gabe Konerding (Sr.) and Kenton Crews (Soph.) have caught at least three passes in a game during that span. Crews, cleared from a concussion after missing two games, could return Friday.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Jasper boys tennis coach Scott Yarbrough issued a reminder that, as it turned out, didn’t need...
In late May 2018, Corrie Burroughs will graduate from Heritage Hills High School. From then on,...
The Knights defeated the Wildcats in a five-set match for their 24th consecutive sectional title...
Even in the 5-1 loss to Evansville Memorial, one thing became clear — the phrase “give up”...
Northeast Dubois lost to Providence 3-1 on Saturday
The Wildcats will face the Northview Knights next Friday at Brazil.
A first outright Pocket Athletic Conference title since 1985 was on the line for Class 2A No. 4...
Plenty of circumstances could have derailed the Jasper volleyball team during Thursday’s Class...