For The Record: 6/26


JASPER — A Daviess County woman complained of pain this morning after a one-car crash on Third Avenue near Rumbach Avenue.

Patricia Fischer, 57, of Cannelburg was southbound on Third Avenue in a 2007 Ford Fusion at the time of the 5:49 a.m. accident, according to the Jasper Police Department.

Police said Fischer nodded off behind the wheel and her car drifted off the west side of Third Avenue about 500 feet south of Rumbach Avenue. The car went over the curb, struck a metal mailbox post at 760 Third Ave. owned by Charles Buechlein and stopped in Christy Crutchfield’s yard at 802 Third Ave.

Fischer reported pain from her seat belt and the deployment of the car’s airbags, but she was not transported by ambulance, according to authorities.

Damage was estimated at $4,000 to the car, $250 to the mailbox post and $250 to the yard.

No charges were filed.


DUBOIS — A Huntingburg motorist was able to drive his truck from the scene after a Tuesday night collision with a deer southeast of Dubois.

Bradley Coomer, 33, of 109 N. Arjem St., was northbound on State Road 545 in a 2010 Toyota Tundra when the 9:55 p.m. accident occurred near County Road 720E, according to the Dubois County Sheriff’s Department.

A deputy said the left front of Coomer’s truck struck a deer that ran onto the roadway.

Damage to the Tundra was estimated at $1,500.

The deer was killed in the accident.


DUFF — A woman escaped injury when she wrecked her car Tuesday morning along a county road north of Duff.

Megan M. Hoffman, 20, of 1830 S. 650W, was southbound on County Road 650W in a 2007 Ford Focus when the 10 a.m. accident occurred north of County Road 260S, according to the county sheriff’s department.

A deputy said Hoffman was distracted and her car ran off the east side of the road and stopped in a ditch.

Damage was estimated at $5,000.

Fire run

JASPER — Units of the Jasper Volunteer Fire Department responded to an alarm activation Tuesday afternoon at Fifth Street School, 401 W. Fifth St.

Fire Chief Kenny Hochgesang said school personnel were doing a thorough cleaning of the building when a faulty alarm triggered at 1:17 p.m. There was no problem and maintenance staff reset the alarm.

Three trucks and 18 firefighters were on the scene 10 minutes.

More on