For The Record: 10/29October 29, 2013
CUZCO — A Cuzco-area man’s truck was able to be driven from the scene of a Monday morning collision with a deer on a county road southeast of Cuzco.
Daniel E. Underhill, 24, of 6201 N. 1150E, told a sheriff’s deputy that a deer ran out in front of his 2005 Chevrolet 1500 series pickup truck on County Road 1125E near County Road 625N at 6:30 a.m., according to the Dubois County Sheriff’s Department.
Underhill was not injured but damage to the front and passenger side of his truck was estimated at between $1,000 and $2,500.
HILLHAM — A deputy estimated damage to be in excess of $2,500 when an Orange County woman’s minivan collided with a deer on a highway just west of Hillham on Wednesday night.
Mariah S. Whitaker, 28, of French Lick was eastbound on State Road 56 in a 2010 Chrysler Town & Country at the time of the 8:03 p.m. mishap, according to the county sheriff’s department.
A deputy said Whitaker’s minivan collided with a deer that ran onto the highway 100 feet west of Hillham Road Northwest.
The van was able to be driven from the scene.
HAYSVILLE — Units of the Haysville Volunteer Fire Department ventured into Martin County on Friday night, although firefighters did not have to battle any flames.
A 9:47 p.m. page alerted the department to a possible grain bin fire along U.S. 231 in southern Martin County.
Firefighters arrived at some bins four miles north of Haysville to find there was no fire, according to Fire Chief John Fuhrman. Instead, steam from moist corn placed in a full bin was swirling, thanks to a drying unit’s fan on the bin.
Two trucks were out for about 15 minutes.
The Haysville department’s service territory extends north into Martin County to the Whitfield area.
HUNTINGBURG — A water flow alarm that activated at 6:20 a.m. Monday briefly sent the Huntingburg Volunteer Fire Department to MasterBrand Cabinets, 1008 N. Geiger St.
There was no fire and no water was flowing through the sprinkler system, Assistant Chief Glen Kissling said. Firefighters were not able to pinpoint a cause for the false alarm, Kissling added.
One truck and six firefighters were on the scene 15 minutes.
JASPER — A report of possible smoke inside a bedroom sent the Jasper Volunteer Fire Department to Chad Vogler’s 4551 Obing Strasse residence at 2:17 p.m. Monday.
One of the homeowners alerted authorities after noticing what she thought could be a light haze of smoke in a bedroom, according to Fire Chief Kenny Hochgesang.
A search did not uncover anything wrong, Hochgesang said.
Five trucks and 26 firefighters were on the scene 10 minutes.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Planning for the Jasper park began in 2013 and culminated with a groundbreaking last week. The...
Kids from across the county are designing, building and creating with the Makers Spark club this...
Hippotherapy helps patients with physical disabilities develop life skills and improves their...
Gov. Eric Holcomb recognized Kimball International at the Indiana Statehouse Monday as a...
Josh Kellems has joined Tierra-Derco International, known as TDI Brands, as division manager of...
A multi-agency effort involving two separate search warrants in the early morning hours Friday...
he St. Patrick’s Celebration winners have been announced. The event was held earlier this...
An important lesson Nick McKown learned about the power of words nearly 2 1/2 years ago will...