For The Record: 10/22


HUNTINGBURG — Francisco J. Perez, 24, of 2030 Lincoln Drive, was arrested Monday afternoon by the Huntingburg Police Department for alleged child molesting.


After the Dubois County Department of Child Services received an initial complaint, Huntingburg’s police detective and the Department of Child Services began an investigation in August covering incidents with a female victim younger than 14 that occurred between December 2010 and mid-April of this year.

On Oct. 9, Huntingburg’s police detective and a Dubois County Sheriff’s Department deputy fluent in Spanish spoke with Perez at the Huntingburg police station.

A warrant charging Perez with a Class A felony count of child molestation was issued Monday in Dubois Circuit Court. Huntingburg police took Perez into custody without incident at his apartment at 1:15 p.m.

Authorities booked Perez into the Dubois County Security Center at 1:28 p.m


JASPER — Total damage approached $9,000 when a pickup truck and an SUV collided Wednesday afternoon north of Jasper.

Autumn R. Buechlein, 19, of 1480 Woodlawn Drive, was northbound on U.S. 231 in a 2013 Ford Escape when the 4:45 p.m. accident occurred at County Road 600N, according to the sheriff’s department.

A deputy said Buechlein slowed to turn right onto the county road and, when she did, her SUV was rear-ended by a 1996 Dodge Dakota pickup truck driven by 44-year-old Larry D. Greene of Loogootee.

Greene told a deputy he was momentarily distracted before the accident when he looked down at some stereo wires.

Neither driver was injured.

Damage was estimated at $5,000 to Buechlein’s SUV and up to $4,000 to Greene’s truck.

A Uebelhor & Sons wrecker assisted.

Gas odor

FERDINAND — MasterBrand Cabinets employees at 624 W. Third St. were evacuated and spent time outdoors at West Third Street and Industrial Park Drive as officials responded to a strong odor of gas that was detected this morning.

The odor of gas was detected after day shift employees arrived at about 6:30 a.m., according to Ferdinand Volunteer Fire Chief Dan Lindauer. When the odor grew more intense, employees were evacuated.

The Ferdinand Police Department shut down traffic at the scene for safety. Lindauer and an Ohio Valley Gas Corp. crew were then called.

Lindauer said exterior doors were opened and fans were turned on to ventilate the plant. Employees spent between 45 and 60 minutes outdoors. The odor had greatly dissipated by the time employees came back inside to begin production, according to Lindauer.

Ohio Valley representatives were still checking inside the building and outside on the property to track down what had caused the problem when Lindauer left at midmorning. The Herald could not immediately reach a plant spokeswoman for an update.

More on