Firefighters halt Crossroads-area kitchen fire

Photos by Traci Westcott/The Herald
Damage in the kitchen after a fire broke out in the Dennis and Connie Sendelweck residence in Dubois on Wednesday evening. 

By BILL POWELL
bpowell@dcherald.com

DUBOIS — Units of the Dubois Volunteer Fire Department responded Wednesday night to the report of a structure fire at a home just west of the Dubois Crossroads.

The 8:10 p.m. call sent the department to the Dennis Sendelweck residence at 4734 E. State Road 56, according to department public information officer Zach Eichmiller.

The first firefighter on the scene reported heavy smoke coming from the home and found a fire in the area of a kitchen stove. Eichmiller said the firefighter quickly extinguished the blaze using a fire extinguisher.

Sendelweck and his wife, Connie, had been home and had an air fryer sitting on the stove, Eichmiller reported. The couple smelled smoke and working detectors alarmed them, allowing them to find the fire and exit the home.

No water was needed because of the successful deployment of the fire extinguisher, Eichmiller said. Firefighters stayed on the scene to ventilate the house and remove the stove from the kitchen.

Eichmiller said the exact cause could not be determined as the stove, microwave and air fryer had all been severely burned. He said the Sendelwecks spent the night elsewhere because the home had some smoke damage and there was powder from the extinguisher covering much of their belongings.

No one was injured and the home should be habitable after cleaning and some repairs, Eichmiller said.

Three trucks and 27 firefighters were on the scene for an hour.

A Memorial Hospital Emergency Medical Services ambulance crew was on standby during the event and Dubois County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded for traffic control.

Connie Sendelweck surveys the damage in her kitchen after a fire broke out in her home in Dubois on Wednesday evening.
The Dubois Volunteer Fire Deptartment removed the stove from the Sendelweck residence after a fire broke out in their home in Dubois on Wednesday evening.
Dubois Volunteer Fire Department firefighters wait outside the Sendelwecks' home after responding to the house fire in Dubois on Wednesday evening.
Dennis Sendelweck, right, sits on his porch with a family friend, Kenney Merkley, after a fire broke out in his home in Dubois on Wednesday evening. "I guess your life is more important that all of this stuff anyway," Sendelweck said reflecting on the damage. 



More on DuboisCountyHerald.com