Firefighters extinguish restaurant landscaping fire

Photo provided

From Local Sources

JASPER — Units of the Jasper Volunteer Fire Department responded late Thursday afternoon to the report of a fire in the landscaping at Wendy’s, 3565 Newton St.

Fire Chief Kenny Hochgesang said the fire involved mulch alongside a sidewalk leading to the restaurant’s entrance so it was likely started by a customer discarding a lit cigarette.

The fire burned a 3-foot-by-3-foot area of mulch and a tuft of trimmed pampas grass.

“It was about 2 feet away from the building,” Hochgesang said. “We pulled a hose reel and dumped some water on it to make sure it was good and saturated.”

Two trucks and 18 firefighters were on the scene 15 minutes.

The Jasper Police Department also assisted.




More on DuboisCountyHerald.com