Firefighters called to JMS teacher loungeMay 29, 2019
From Local Sources
JASPER — Units of the Jasper Volunteer Fire Department responded Tuesday afternoon when multiple alarms activated at Jasper Middle School, 3600 N. Portersville Road.
Fire Chief Kenny Hochgesang said there was smoke associated with the 1:08 p.m. callout. It was traced to the teacher lounge.
Hochgesang said the lounge had an island counter with a glass-topped stove in it. Plastic totes had been placed on the island and one of them contacted a burner’s knob, turning it on high.
The fire chief said a strainer with a rubber coating that was on the burner smoked and triggered alarms.
“The alarm system definitely helped them,” Hochgesang said after learning staff grabbed towels to remove the strainer from the range top.
Firefighters used a fan in the lounge to pull in some fresh air.
Damage was limited to the range top and a heat shield above the stove, according to Hochgesang.
Five trucks and 28 firefighters were on the scene 15 minutes.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Teens at local high schools donned orange this week to bring awareness to an issue that on...
The planners behind a Dubois County summer festival have a new person at the helm.
Immigration lawyer Christine Popp travels from Bloomington to Dubois County to help immigrants...
Amy Morris picked up five quesadillas for herself and her Rural King coworkers. Santiago Nunez...
A member of the Indiana State Police at the Jasper Post is being recognized for reaching a...
The route options for the proposed Mid-States Corridor will be discussed at public meetings next...
The banging of hammers echoed down the hall at the Center for Technology, Innovation and...
For struggling teen parents, managing school and raising a child is hard. To help, Jasper High...