Firefighters called to compressor explosion, fire

From Local Sources

FERDINAND — Units of the Ferdinand Volunteer Fire Department responded late Monday night to the report of an explosion and heavy smoke showing at a business location on West Eighth Street.

Fire Chief John Hoppenjans said the first arriving units answering the 11:16 p.m. callout determined the explosion and resulting fire was contained in the air compressor room at Leibering Lumber, 514 W. Eighth St.

Hoppenjans said a 50-horsepower compressor had malfunctioned and exploded, blowing open the doors of its cabinet and touching off a fire that was coming out the eaves of the building housing the unit. A nightwatchman reported the issue to authorities.

A sprinkler system activated and did its job, Hoppenjans said, and firefighters followed up by shutting off the electricity to the building, extinguishing hot spots and ventilating the space.

The compressor was a total loss, but the building just sustained charring to rafters and can be repaired.

Five trucks and 26 firefighters were on the scene 90 minutes.

The Ferdinand Police Department and Memorial Hospital Emergency Medical Services assisted.

There were no injuries.




More on DuboisCountyHerald.com