Firefighters address smoldering silageDecember 27, 2018
From Local Sources
HAYSVILLE — Units of the Haysville Volunteer Fire Department ventured into southern Martin County Wednesday when dry silage was found smoking in a concrete bin.
The 4:44 p.m. run sent the department to the Keeven Neukam farm at 2041 Hoffman Road, east of U.S. 231, according to Fire Chief John Fuhrman.
Neukam was unloading the dry silage to feed cattle and discovered the problem.
Fuhrman said the issue was thought to be electrical in nature. An electric cord runs up through the interior of the silo and it possibly shorted and sparked.
Firefighters climbed to an access door that had burned to spray water and then removed smoldering silage.
Neukam will need to get the silo’s electric checked and replace a feeder belt that was melted by hot silage, according to Fuhrman.
There were no injuries.
Four trucks and 12 firefighters were on the scene for an hour.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
There's more to a team than its players' athletic skills. Area high school athletic teams have...
The Heritage Hills High School Class of 2019 will graduate at 3 p.m. CT Saturday in the Lincoln...
The Northeast Dubois High School Class of 2019 will graduate at 6 p.m. Saturday at Northeast...
When Northeast Dubois High School junior Taylor Neukam set out to write a bilingual book in...
The Jasper High School Class of 2019 will graduate at 6 p.m. Friday at Jasper High School, with...
In 2016, a quad of friends set out on what could be seen as an epic bicentennial journey.
Fallen U.S. military members will be honored Monday on Memorial Day.
The Southridge High School Class of 2019 will graduate at 7 p.m. Friday in Memorial Gym with 139...