Firefighters address smoldering silageDecember 27, 2018
From Local Sources
HAYSVILLE — Units of the Haysville Volunteer Fire Department ventured into southern Martin County Wednesday when dry silage was found smoking in a concrete bin.
The 4:44 p.m. run sent the department to the Keeven Neukam farm at 2041 Hoffman Road, east of U.S. 231, according to Fire Chief John Fuhrman.
Neukam was unloading the dry silage to feed cattle and discovered the problem.
Fuhrman said the issue was thought to be electrical in nature. An electric cord runs up through the interior of the silo and it possibly shorted and sparked.
Firefighters climbed to an access door that had burned to spray water and then removed smoldering silage.
Neukam will need to get the silo’s electric checked and replace a feeder belt that was melted by hot silage, according to Fuhrman.
There were no injuries.
Four trucks and 12 firefighters were on the scene for an hour.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Many are familiar with the motorcycle gang archetype — rugged outlaws prone to violence. In...
Construction Manager Pat Gress has about 500 photos on his phone chronicling the construction of...
Jose Dubon has announced his plan to run on the Republican ticket for the Huntingburg Common...
No sex, no drugs, no race-relations and no politics. When Clint Hall of Huntingburg tells jokes,...
The end of summer is already in sight but organizers of this weekend’s 29th annual St. Anthony...
Dunkin' has plans to open a store in the former Orange Leaf building in Jasper, according to a...
Longtime Main Street barber Leo Wahl has officially passed the reins of his storied barbershop...
The first ever Locking Arms for Suicide Awareness benefit is at 6 p.m. Saturday at Venue 1408,...