Fire destroys trailer in mobile home park

From Local Sources

JASPER — Authorities say a heat lamp started a fire that destroyed a trailer Friday at Maple Grove Village, 3828 N. Portersville Road.

Units of the Jasper Volunteer Fire Department were called to Lot 7 at 4:19 p.m.

Fire Chief Kenny Hochgesang said two men, including the individual who had been allowed by the owners to live at times in the trailer, had been under the home with a heat lamp trying to thaw a frozen pipe.

The men left to get parts and saw smoke upon their return, Hochgesang said.

The trailer was fully involved when the fire department arrived, according to the chief.

A neighboring trailer to the west sustained heat and fire damage that included a melted underpining, one broken window and one cracked window, Hochgesang said. A trailer to the east sustained a melted underpining.

The resident staying in the burned trailer indicated he had somewhere to stay and declined assistance from the American Red Cross.

There were no injuries.

Six trucks and 21 firefighters were on the scene 90 minutes.

The trailer was not insured.




More on DuboisCountyHerald.com