Fire department offers fireworks safety tipsJune 29, 2018
From local sources
JASPER — The Jasper Volunteer Fire Department reminds residents to be safe with fireworks this Fourth of July.
Safety tips from Get Prepared Indiana include:
• Use extreme caution when lighting fireworks in the wind. Keep spectators where the wind is blowing away from them.
• Never smoke or consume alcohol when lighting fireworks.
• Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
• Steer clear of others setting off fireworks. They can backfire or shoot off in the wrong direction.
• Do not attempt to make or alter any fireworks or firework devices.
• Always have a fire extinguisher or water supply, such as a hose or bucket of water, nearby.
• Only light one firework at a time and never attempt to re-light or fix a “dud” firework.
• Think about pets. Animals have sensitive ears and can be very frightened or stressed by firework sounds.
• JVFD reminds citizens that fireworks may only be set off on the user’s property, on a property the user has obtained permission to use or at a designated location. Firework hours over the holiday are 9 a.m. to two hours after sunset today through Tuesday, as well as Thursday, July 5, through Monday, July 9. Fourth of July hours are 9 a.m. to midnight.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Fifty years ago, Northwood Retirement Community opened in Jasper as Northwood Good Samaritan Center.
A dedication ceremony for the Ferdinand Veterans Memorial, constructed on the north side of town...
There’s more to Young Life than fostering faith. Teens build lifelong relationships with...
We’re still in the thick of spring, but there’s something about the upcoming Old Jasper Day...
Indiana’s Lt. Gov. Suzanne Crouch walked around Market Street Park with Huntingburg Mayor...
The feasibility study on options for expanding the Dubois County Security Center and addressing...
Crossroads Behavioral Health in the former St. Joseph's Hospital building in Huntingburg, will...
St. Joseph Catholic Church’s Father Ray Brenner will celebrate the 50th anniversary of his...