Fire department offers fireworks safety tipsJune 29, 2018
From local sources
JASPER — The Jasper Volunteer Fire Department reminds residents to be safe with fireworks this Fourth of July.
Safety tips from Get Prepared Indiana include:
• Use extreme caution when lighting fireworks in the wind. Keep spectators where the wind is blowing away from them.
• Never smoke or consume alcohol when lighting fireworks.
• Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
• Steer clear of others setting off fireworks. They can backfire or shoot off in the wrong direction.
• Do not attempt to make or alter any fireworks or firework devices.
• Always have a fire extinguisher or water supply, such as a hose or bucket of water, nearby.
• Only light one firework at a time and never attempt to re-light or fix a “dud” firework.
• Think about pets. Animals have sensitive ears and can be very frightened or stressed by firework sounds.
• JVFD reminds citizens that fireworks may only be set off on the user’s property, on a property the user has obtained permission to use or at a designated location. Firework hours over the holiday are 9 a.m. to two hours after sunset today through Tuesday, as well as Thursday, July 5, through Monday, July 9. Fourth of July hours are 9 a.m. to midnight.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
What’s a typical day like for Brenda Dotterweich, kitchen manager at the Dubois County...
St. Vincent StatFlight will relocate its Evansville-based aircraft to the Huntingburg Airport by...
At this week’s Greater Jasper Consolidated Schools board meeting, the board approved the...
When the career and technical education students at Forest Park Junior-Senior High School...
New St. John Bosco Youth Ministry Director Jacqueline Ripberger started in her new position...
Not all injuries are physical or mental. Some can stem from the soul. Such was the message at a...
Three VEX Robotics teams from Lincoln Trail Elementary and one from Cedar Crest Intermediate...
At 25, Eber Menjivar is the youngest member of the Jasper Utility Service Board, and he is the...