Fire damages Dubois-area turkey buildingFebruary 26, 2019
From Local Sources
DUBOIS — Units of the Dubois Volunteer Fire Department responded to a turkey building fire Tuesday morning.
Dubois County’s 911 dispatch center received multiple calls about the incident that sent firefighters to the Kevin and Shawn Kalb farm on Hickory Grove Road, just north of State Road 56, at 10:07 a.m.
Department public information officer Zach Eichmiller said smoke was visible from the Dubois Crossroads so, early on, the department called for tanker assistance from the Celestine Volunteer Fire Department and Haysville Volunteer Fire Department.
Luckily, those tankers did not have to be pressed into service.
Eichmiller said a heater malfunction is believed to have started a fire that burned through the ceiling and damaged some trusses in the center of the building. A roughly 40-foot area in the middle of the 600-foot-long building was affected but the structure can be repaired, according to Eichmiller.
No turkeys were lost because the Kalbs were in the process of prepping the building and no new birds had yet been introduced.
Two trucks and 16 firefighters were on the scene 30 minutes.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
At an age when most women decide to retire from the sport, Joanie Mundy of Huntingburg decided...
Recently, I came to terms with the fact that I am a son who’ll never be as successful as his...
From 1952 to 1956, Herb Welp was surrounded by nature unlike the kind found in Southwest...
When Tanner Kane went to his first rodeo, he thought he was just going to watch.
The Rotary Club of Jasper, hosting its eighth annual ATHENA International Leadership Award...
Doctors are unsure how Brian Arensman contracted the flesh-eating bacteria that took both his...
Jason Stamm recognizes the region has a need for a new baseball league: one that would offer...
The administrative team at Southeast Dubois Schools will welcome two new members this fall when...