Fire damages Birdseye-area detached garage

From Local Sources

BIRDSEYE — Fire significantly damaged a detached garage at a residence south of Birdseye early Sunday.

Units of the Birdseye Volunteer Fire Department were called at 12:15 a.m. to the Wayne Kunkler residence at 7216 S. State Road 145.

Kunkler had a heat lamp warming some baby chicks and, although the fire’s cause has not officially been determined, it is thought the warming lamp was the heat source for the fire, according to Fire Chief David “Smitty” Smith.

“We’re leaning that way,” Smith said.

A neighbor noticed the fire and woke the Kunklers, according to Smith.

The fire that was concentrated on the south end of the garage totaled an all-terrain vehicle and damaged a boat. Smith said a large Kubota mower was among the equipment and tools safely removed from the building.

The baby chicks — Smith estimated there were six to 10 — died in the fire. They were to have been moved to a chicken house the following day, he added.

The damage to the south end of the metal, 30-by-40 building means at least that portion will need to come down, according to Smith. The north end of the garage sustained heat damage.

Two trucks and 12 firefighters were on the scene 70 minutes.

Memorial Hospital Emergency Medical Services assisted with an ambulance on standby.




More on DuboisCountyHerald.com