Fire call provides opportunity for reminderDecember 18, 2018
From Local Sources
JASPER — A Monday evening fire call provided the Jasper Volunteer Fire Department with an opportunity to remind citizens to never leave home with an appliance running.
The fire department was called to Frank Blessinger’s 459 Third Ave. residence at 7:22 p.m. after Blessinger came home to discover there had been a dryer fire, according to Fire Chief Kenny Hochgesang.
The dryer had been left running when Blessinger had left in the morning, the chief said. The appliance had caught fire but the fire had burned itself out and the smoke had dissipated by the time of his return, the chief said. The cause was thought to have either been a clogged dryer vent or something electrical in nature, according to Hochgesang.
Blessinger call the fire department to ensure there were no hot spots.
Damage was limited to the dryer, a kitchen wall by it and the area around the dryer vent that went to the basement.
The call presented an opportunity to remind citizens that the fire department recommends never leaving home with any appliance running. That includes washers, dryers, stoves and dishwashers.
Two trucks and a six-member duty crew were on the scene 30 minutes.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Although he is in the middle of his Congressional work in the nation’s capital, U.S. Sen. Mike...
Bark in the Parklands was a joint event between the Dubois County Humane Society and the Jasper...
In celebration of Newspapers in Education Week, we asked elementary schoolers from Ireland,...
More than 500 attendees flooded the Jasper Community Arts Center and parts of Vincennes...
Severe weather that included wind gusts approaching 50 mph left its mark on Dubois County...
The St. John Bosco Youth Ministry in Jasper has hired Jacqueline Ripberger as its new director.
More than 100 people came out Wednesday to support the Birdseye Volunteer Fire Department’s...
The basketball game between a select group of Southridge High School faculty members and several...