Fatal fire in apartment building blamed on smoking

By The Associated Press

RICHMOND — A fire that left two people dead and six others injured in eastern Indiana has been ruled accidental and is believed to have been started by a man smoking in his apartment.

Richmond Fire Chief Jerry Purcell says the fire appears to have started Monday evening on a futon in a fifth-floor apartment.

The 48-year-old man who lived in the apartment was found near a stairwell and was pronounced dead at the scene from smoke inhalation. A 56-year-old man who lived on the same floor was found in a stairwell. He was taken to a hospital, but later died of heart failure.

Witnesses have said flames were shooting from a window on the fifth floor.

More on DuboisCountyHerald.com