Famous Santa Claus postmark chosen for 2019November 1, 2019
From Local Sources
SANTA CLAUS — The Santa Claus Post Office has selected the 2019 special picture postmark for the upcoming holiday season. On Monday, Dec. 2, the post office will begin offering the picture postmark to cancel the postage stamps on holiday mail again this year.
This famous small-town post office is the only one in the world with the Santa Claus name and receives over 400,000 pieces of mail in December — compared to only 13,000 pieces of mail per month for the rest of the year. This special picture postmark has been offered every Christmas season since 1983.
Each year, the holiday postmark is designed by a local high school art student as part of an annual contest.
This year’s artist is Morgan Vaal, daughter of Tim and Angie Vaal of St. Meinrad, and Rhonda Vaal of Santa Claus. Morgan is now a freshman at the University of Southern Indiana, where she is pursuing a nursing degree.
“Patrons from all over the world request the Santa Claus holiday postmark. Some drive into town to personally hand cancel their holiday mail with the famous picture postmark and others request the special postmark by mail,” said Postmaster Cheryl Bailey. “The famous Santa Claus postmark is a long-standing tradition for the town and it’s always fun to see the unique artwork each year.”
She asks anyone interested in getting the special cancellation on their holiday mail to follow these guidelines:
• Allow at least a 2-inch by 4-inch space in the stamp area for the picture postmark;
• Apply postage to cards or letters before bringing or mailing them to the post office;
• If you wish to mail Christmas cards to the post office, package them — with postage stamps already on them — in a sturdy envelope or box, and mail to Postmaster, Santa Claus Station, Santa Claus, IN 47579-9998;
• The picture postmark is available on working days between Dec. 2 and 24;
• The picture postmark must be requested by the postal customer;
• To ensure a good postmark imprint, do not enclose large or bulky items in your holiday mail (Ex: reindeer food, snowflakes, glitter, stickers, etc.);
• There is no charge for postmarking; however, there is a limit of 50 picture postmarks (hand cancellations) per person per day.
Santa Claus will host a celebration of family fun the first three weekends of December. Santa Claus Christmas Celebration events include Chestnut Roasting, Christmas Dinner with Santa, Writing a Letter to Santa, and more each weekend. In addition, special events include the Santa Claus Arts & Crafts Show and Santa Claus Parade on Dec. 14 and the Christmas Lake Village Festival of Lights on Dec. 14 and 21.
Find details about all upcoming events at SantaClausInd.org/Events.
For information about Santa Claus Christmas Celebration holiday packages, call 888-444-9252 or visit SantaClausInd.org/Packages.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
The Dubois County Health Department reported today five new positive cases of COVID-19.
Dubois County Engineer Brent Wendholt has been named Engineer of the Year by the Association of...
The Dubois County Health Department reported today three new positive cases of COVID-19.
Indiana State Police Superintendent Douglas Carter has announced the promotion of Senior Trooper...
The Dubois County Health Department reported today 24 new positive cases of COVID-19.
Joslyn Mehringer doesn’t remember every step of her winding journey. But how could she? It...
The Dubois County Health Department reported today six new positive cases of COVID-19.
The declining student enrollment, the revenue shortfall, the lack of necessary resources. At a...