Fall Pasture Walk announcedOctober 17, 2019
KYANA — The Dubois County Cattlemen’s Association, in cooperation with Purdue Extension and Fischer Farms Natural Beef, is hosting its Fall Pasture Walk on Saturday, Nov. 9. The walk runs from 1 to 3 p.m. at Fischer Farms, 5142 S. Kyana Road, Birdseye, 2.8 miles east of St. Anthony on State Road 64.
Speakers and topics are:
• Dave Fischer, owner of Fischer Farms, and Jim Verkamp, president of Dubois County Cattlemen’s Association, will explore cattle farms, the meat business and beef genetics.
• Lee Schnell, district conservationist for the United States Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service, will talk about options for maintaining clean water on livestock operations, including use of ponds and wetlands.
• Nick Minton, beef nutritionist for Purdue Extension, will discuss how Fischer Farms uses silage and feed commodities for balanced cattle rations.
• Jason Tower, manager for the Southern Indiana Purdue Agricultural Center, will demonstrate over 20 cover crop test plots being tried for cover and cattle grazing use.
• Kenneth Eck, educator for Purdue Extension-Dubois County, will focus on fragipan soil challenges as well as how Fischer Farms is using annual ryegrass to reduce their soil concerns.
Additional presentations on feeding barns, machinery use, and forage and crop production also aree planned.
The event is supported by Superior Ag., and reservations for this free event are not required to attend. Questions on the event can be directed to the Purdue Extension-Dubois County office at 812-482-1782 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
As the U.S. Congress opens public impeachment hearings about President Trump next week, an...
Memorial Hospital and Health Care Center announces the next recipient of the DAISY Award is...
The Southern Indiana Sharpshooters, sponsored by The American Legion Post 147 of Jasper,...
The EPIC group met Wednesday evening with 46 youths and 18 adults present. Following supper,...
Dr. Peter Goldsbrough, professor with the Purdue University Department of Botany and Plant...
The Disabled American Veterans Auxiliary is celebrating its 100th anniversary. In celebration,...
The Community Food Bank, 1404 Meridian Road, Jasper, will accept donations of frozen turkeys,...
Several homes will be warmer this winter as a result of the firewood that was cut Saturday at...