Dubois firefighters tackle chimney fireJanuary 3, 2019
From Local Sources
DUBOIS — Units of the Dubois Volunteer Fire Department responded to a chimney fire Tuesday evening east of Dubois.
Firefighters were called at 7:25 p.m. to the Hannah Fischer residence at 7425 E. Dubois-Cuzco Road, according to department public information officer Zach Eichmiller.
Fischer, her boyfriend, Shawn Arning, and a 2-year-old child were home at the time, according to Eichmiller.
Arning stated he smelled smoke and went downstairs where he saw a piece of pipe to a stove that was red hot, Eichmiller said. Smoke was also coming from the stove.
Fischer took the child and evacuated the home, going to a nearby family member to call 911, according to Eichmiller.
Firefighters arrived shortly after the call and cleaned out the chimney and stove.
Eichmiller said the stove pipe was in no condition to fire the stove again.
The home’s occupants were to stay with family until repairs could be made or an alternative heat source could be found, according to the department.
There were no injuries and no damage outside of the stove not being immediately operational.
Three trucks and 22 firefighters were on the scene 45 minutes.
During the weekend, Eichmiller said, the department had been called to extinguish a trash fire southwest of Dubois.
The 8:21 p.m. call Saturday sent trucks to 3036 N. 325E.
Eichmiller said a Department of Natural Resources conservation officer had stopped by the residence early in the day to request that nothing else be burned. Later in the day, he added, additional material was thrown on the fire, which resulted in a fine.
An unknown company was cleaning out the residence, which had been foreclosed on, and workers were burning the contents of the house, Eichmiller said.
The fire department was requested to totally extinguish the fire so that law enforcement in the area would know if it had been restarted.
One truck and seven firefighters were on the scene 15 minutes.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
I’ve enjoyed a few stadium shakers in my time, but it’s the anti-arena acts on the smaller...
The hottest ticket the last two weekends for an Indiana volunteer firefighter had to be the...
Although he is in the middle of his Congressional work in the nation’s capital, U.S. Sen. Mike...
Bark in the Parklands was a joint event between the Dubois County Humane Society and the Jasper...
In celebration of Newspapers in Education Week, we asked elementary schoolers from Ireland,...
More than 500 attendees flooded the Jasper Community Arts Center and parts of Vincennes...
Severe weather that included wind gusts approaching 50 mph left its mark on Dubois County...
The St. John Bosco Youth Ministry in Jasper has hired Jacqueline Ripberger as its new director.