Department reponds to silage chopper fireAugust 31, 2018
From local sources
MENTOR — Units of the Birdseye Volunteer Fire Department responded Friday morning to what was initially reported as a possible structure fire in the Mentor Road South area.
Fire Chief David “Smitty” Smith said the fire actually involved Paul Lueken’s John Deere silage chopper, which was in use when a problem was reported at 9:35 a.m.
Two fire extinguishers were successfully used to knock out a fire before the fire department’s first two trucks arrived, according to Smith. Firefighters then sprayed water on the unit to ensure hot spots were cooled.
It was thought a failed bearing could have been the cause, according to Smith.
At the farmer’s request, the fire department brought out its brush truck to follow the John Deere as it was taken back to the shop for repairs.
Smith thought the damage was limited, although some wiring may need replaced.
Three trucks and 10 firefighters were out about 30 minutes.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
There's more to a team than its players' athletic skills. Area high school athletic teams have...
The Heritage Hills High School Class of 2019 will graduate at 3 p.m. CT Saturday in the Lincoln...
The Northeast Dubois High School Class of 2019 will graduate at 6 p.m. Saturday at Northeast...
When Northeast Dubois High School junior Taylor Neukam set out to write a bilingual book in...
The Jasper High School Class of 2019 will graduate at 6 p.m. Friday at Jasper High School, with...
In 2016, a quad of friends set out on what could be seen as an epic bicentennial journey.
Fallen U.S. military members will be honored Monday on Memorial Day.
The Southridge High School Class of 2019 will graduate at 7 p.m. Friday in Memorial Gym with 139...