Decoration’s cord shorts in Birdseye garageDecember 10, 2019
From Local Sources
BIRDSEYE — There was smoke to ventilate Monday morning inside a residence just north of Birdseye but only limited damage after an initial report of a garage fire.
Units of the Birdseye Volunteer Fire Department were called at 10:41 a.m. to the June Cunningham residence at 3522 S. Harts Gravel Road.
Cunningham’s attached garage is part of her basement and, when smoke was reported in the space, Birdseye Fire Chief David “Smitty” Smith called for mutual aid in the form of tanker and manpower support from the Schnellville Volunteer Fire Department.
Smith said firefighters arrived and determined an extension cord ran outside for a Christmas decoration shorted, tripping an electrical breaker and burning a tote and items in it.
Firefighters opened the garage door to begin exhausting smoke. Smith said water damage was limited given the garage’s concrete floor.
Birdseye responded with three trucks and 14 firefighters, while Schnellville’s fire department brought its tanker and manpower support. Units were on the scene less than an hour.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
As both postman and family man, Matt Lorey delivers.
A Jasper man received one of the state’s highest honors on Thursday night.
Shirley J. Ray believes we need to learn every day. As the first-ever director of the Dubois...
Work to add campsites, extend trails and build a restroom/information building could start at...
A one-room schoolhouse that educated generations of Dubois County residents has finally come...
A bill that is moving through the Indiana Senate would extend the statute of limitations for...
Indiana Department of Natural Resources Conservation Officer Ryan McIntyre, who is assigned to...
Suspended about 2 feet above the ground, Erin Rauscher of Yes Power Yoga and her students flew...