Carbon monoxide killed woman, young daughterMay 11, 2020
By The Associated Press
EVANSVILLE — A woman and her young daughter found dead last month in a southwestern Indiana home died from carbon monoxide poisoning after an automobile was left running in their garage, authorities said.
Vanderburgh County Coroner Steve Lockyear said autopsies and toxicology tests revealed that both mother and daughter died from carbon monoxide inhalation. He ruled the death of Kimbra Shanafelt, 49, a suicide and the death of her 5-year-old daughter, Dahni Shanafelt, a homicide.
A relative found Kimbra Shanafelt's body on April 22 inside the garage of her duplex on Evansville's north side. Her daughter's body was found in an upstairs bedroom.
Vanderburgh County Sheriff David Wedding said Kimbra Shanafelt likely died quickly in the house’s attached one-car garage as the vehicle was running. Exhaust fumes then apparently seeped into the house, killing her daughter as the vehicle continued running until its fuel ran out.
Wedding said Friday investigators believe the deaths are likely a case of reckless homicide.
“It’s sad, and it is puzzling. We do wish we could have known what was in the mother’s mind,” Wedding told the Evansville Courier & Press.
“We think her actions precipitated the girl’s death. Did she plan it? We cannot be 100 percent sure," he said. “It’s a head-scratcher because you can’t interview anybody.”
Lockyear said that based on interviews with family members, Shanafelt and her daughter likely died on the evening of April 19.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
The Lincoln Amphitheatre is rescheduling its 2020 performance series for 2021.
Farmers markets offer more than just a place for locals to buy and sell fresh produce. They also...
The 2020 Ferdinand Folk Festival has been canceled.
The Dubois County Health Department reported three new COVID-19 cases today, bringing the...
Jasper High School graduated 255 in the Class of 2020 this month when e-learning came to an end...
The wedding of my daughter Delaney and future son-in-law Max has become one of what Knot.com...
The Dubois County Health Department confirms four more positive cases of novel coronavirus,...
The Dubois County Health Department confirms seven more positive cases of novel coronavirus,...