Candle warmer brings out St. Henry firefightersFebruary 21, 2019
From Local Sources
ST. HENRY — A report late Tuesday evening of smoke inside a residence west of St. Henry brought a response by the St. Henry Volunteer Fire Department.
The department responded at 5:50 p.m. to the Ronnie and Donna Tobin residence at 11212 S. 200W after a call to a firefighter reporting the problem, according to Fire Chief Steve Eckert.
Electrical power was disconnected at the home’s breaker box as firefighters discovered a candle warmer had components come loose internally, which resulted in the plastic housing melting and creating a significant amount of smoke, according to Eckert.
The department used an exhaust fan to ventilate the house and deployed a thermal imaging camera to ensure there were no additional problems.
Two trucks and five firefighters were on the scene about 40 minutes.
Last week, at 10:03 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 14, the department traveled east of St. Henry after a citizen complained about a person in the area of County Road 50W lighting a large brush pile on fire just before 10 p.m.
Burning is not allowed after sunset by state law. After confirming the illegal burn, Eckert contacted county dispatch to page out the department. One truck and 10 firefighters responded to extinguish the burn by Leon Mehling.
Eckert reported that, in 2017, Mehling started the woods on fire at the same location, resulting in an out-of-control fire that burned several acres of brush and trees.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Many are familiar with the motorcycle gang archetype — rugged outlaws prone to violence. In...
Construction Manager Pat Gress has about 500 photos on his phone chronicling the construction of...
Jose Dubon has announced his plan to run on the Republican ticket for the Huntingburg Common...
No sex, no drugs, no race-relations and no politics. When Clint Hall of Huntingburg tells jokes,...
The end of summer is already in sight but organizers of this weekend’s 29th annual St. Anthony...
Dunkin' has plans to open a store in the former Orange Leaf building in Jasper, according to a...
Longtime Main Street barber Leo Wahl has officially passed the reins of his storied barbershop...
The first ever Locking Arms for Suicide Awareness benefit is at 6 p.m. Saturday at Venue 1408,...