Cancellations related to coronavirus threatMarch 13, 2020
From Local Sources
Many area organizations have decided to cancel events in response to the threat of COVID-19 or the coronavirus.
Here are some area cancellations:
• Vincennes University and Vincennes University Jasper have extended spring break until Sunday, March 22. Classes will resume March 23 in an online format. Faculty and staff are expected to report next week as usual at all VU sites until further notice, but should remain home if they are experiencing any symptoms. More information is available at www.vinu.edu.
• The University of Southern Indiana has extended spring break one week through Sunday, March 22. While campus will remain open, all in-person courses will be moved to online or alternative delivery by Monday, March 23. Upon resuming coursework March 23, students should log into Blackboard to find their courses and instructional information. Previously scheduled online courses, including those with a start date of March 16 will continue as scheduled unless otherwise communicated by the instructor. At this time, the plan is for classes to resume in person Monday, April 6.
• The Sisters of St. Benedict has canceled a total community meeting that was scheduled for this weekend. Prioress Sister Anita Louise Lowe instead called for sisters to make Saturday a day of prayer, saying it is for all who are affected throughout our country and our world, for all medical personnel, and for all who are making decisions for the common good. The Sisters invite you to “join them in asking God’s intercession to restore health to all and to maintain peace and good order as we deal with ramifications of the spread of this virus.”
The Sisters’ Benedictine Hospitality Center will refrain from housing overnight guests for the next 30 days. A reevaluation will be done at that time to determine if additional delays will occur.
Precautions for visitors are being taken at the monastery. If you have questions regarding the restrictions before visiting, call 812-367-1411 or follow the monastery on facebook.com/FerdinandOSB.
The Sisters have also canceled: Sundaes with the Sisters, March 22; The Way of the Cross, March 28; Spirituality in the Different Stages of Life, April 28.
• The National Players were scheduled to present two plays on Friday and Saturday at Saint Meinrad Archabbey in St. Meinrad, but the shows have been canceled.
• The Dubois County Emergency Management Agency has canceled severe weather spotter training that was to be held in Jasper on March 16.
• The senior citizen dinner scheduled for Sunday at St. Joseph Parish in Jasper has been canceled.
• The Indiana State School Music Association has canceled its ISSMA-sponsored music events through April 11.
• Two events during this weekend’s St. Patrick’s Celebration in Ireland have been canceled. The Ireland Craft Fair and the Climb a CAT event have both been canceled in light of Gov. Eric Holcomb’s directive to limit events to 250 people or less. As of now, all other events are still planned.
• Events at Saint Meinrad Archabbey and its Seminary and School of Theology are canceled through Easter Sunday.
• Dubois County Fire School’s Module A class has been postponed and all other classes have been canceled.
• Dubois County WyldLife’s Carnival Club and all Wyldlife Campaigners have been canceled until further notice.
• The EVV12 May 2 Honor Flight trip has been canceled.
• Purdue Extension Dinners along with the program of Weathering the Storm in Agriculture on Monday March 16 at Dubois and the Dubois Cunty 4-H Fairgrounds are canceled.
• The SAT exam scheduled for Saturday at Jasper High School is canceled. There is no makeup date.
• The Jasper High School prom is moved to May 15 at The Calumet in Jasper.
• Kappa Delta Phi Sorority's annual Daddy Daughter Dance set for Thursday at the Huntingburg Teen Outback has been postponed.
• Friends of the Ferdinand Library have canceled Saturday's book sale.
• The Dubois County Chapter of Daughters of the American Revolution has postponed its DAR Good Citizen, American History Essay and Christopher Columbus Essay Contest Winner Reception that was schedule for 2 p.m. Sunday at Trinity United Church of Christ Parish Hall in Jasper.
• The Older Americans Center in Jasper announced that all scheduled activities — including bingo, catered meals and exercise classes — are canceled through Friday, April 3. The casino trip scheduled for Wednesday is postponed until May 13.
• The City of Huntingburg Transit is still in operation, until the Federal Transit Administration advises otherwise. Staff is increasing the frequuency of cleaning vehicles to limit the spread of the coronavirus.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
As Kyle Gudorf and Lance Reynolds searched for their next great catch, the bowfishermen learned...
The Indiana State Department of Health reported Friday five new COVID-19 cases in Dubois County.
The Indiana State Department of Health reported Thursday nine new COVID-19 cases in Dubois County.
Becky Hickman has always enjoyed helping people succeed by connecting them to resources.
The Indiana State Department of Health reported Wednesday eight new COVID-19 cases in Dubois County.
The Indiana State Department of Health reported Tuesday five new COVID-19 deaths in Dubois...
A Birdseye man was flown to an Evansville hospital with a head injury after his pickup truck...
The Indiana State Department of Health has reported since Friday 12 new COVID-19 cases in Dubois...