Burning pole brings out Jasper firefighters

JASPER — Units of the Jasper Volunteer Fire Department responded early Friday when an electric pole next to U.S. 231 caught fire.

The 1:59 a.m. incident involved a cross-member on a pole in the area of Indiana Street and U.S. 231, according to Fire Chief Kenny Hochgesang. A power outage in the vicinity accompanied the incident.

Jasper Electric Distribution Manager Jerry Schitter said a bad insulator on a pole behind the Jasper Shoney’s at 25 Indiana St., gave out during a rain event at 1:55 a.m., with electricity arcing between pole components. The hour-long outage affected the Jasper Y and Truman Road areas.

Firefighters were on standby as a Jasper Municipal Utilities crew used an extinguisher on the pole.

Two fire trucks and 16 firefighters were on the scene 45 minutes.




More on DuboisCountyHerald.com