Apartment fire damage limited to one unitDecember 23, 2013
By BILL POWELL
Herald Staff Writer
JASPER — A Sunday morning fire that extensively damaged an apartment in the Holy Family area left a Jasper man injured and in need of alternate housing.
The Jasper Volunteer Fire Department was called at 8:07 a.m. to the Fountainview Apartments, 880 Conrad Ave., according to Fire Chief Kenny Hochgesang.
Hochgesang said the bedroom of 21-year-old Jeremy Bryant’s unit was engulfed when the department arrived. A lit cigarette was listed by Hochgesang as the possible cause.
Bryant was taken from the scene by ambulance to Memorial Hospital and was then transferred to St. Mary’s Medical Center in Evansville, according to a spokeswoman at the Jasper medical facility. Hochgesang said Bryant suffered from smoke inhalation, had his hair singed and was reported to have sustained a cut to his foot.
The Jasper Police Department assisted in evacuating the complex.
Four other adults living in upstairs apartments at the complex were brought to safety using ladders because too much smoke was concentrated in a stairway, Hochgesang said. The complex’s other residents were allowed back to their apartments after Bryant’s fire was extinguished and smoke was ventilated. Hochgesang said Bryant’s unit sustained an estimated $30,000 in damage.
Six trucks and 29 firefighters were on the scene for an hour.
Hochgesang said today that he is not sure where Bryant is staying.
Memorial Hospital Emergency Medical Services assisted.
Contact Bill Powell at email@example.com.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
A new section of multi-use trail could be under construction in 2019.
Though it sits isolated in a patch of woods in Kyana, Pine Ridge Elementary has opened its doors...
National Office Furniture, a brand unit of Kimball International Inc. has been recognized by the...
Spring began with snow this year, with 6-inch accumulations at Patoka Lake and Birdseye topping...
Kimball, a brand unit of Kimball International and a leading designer and manufacturer of...
A weekend celebration honored Santa Claus’ first Santa, the late Jim Yellig, and also honored...
In less than a year, Ashley Downes’ health and wellness business, FitFuel, blossomed.