Andry sentenced in aiding fiance's death

An Eckerty woman was sentenced today for her role in the murder of her fiance.


Sarah K. Andry faces 55 years at the Indiana Department of Correction after being found guilty late last month for aiding in the death of her fiance, Darin L. Atkins.

Dubois Circuit Judge Nathan Verkamp found Andry guilty on two counts: aiding murder and aggravated battery. She was sentenced to 55 years on the aiding murder count and 9 years for the aggravated battery to run concurrently.

Dubois County Sheriff's Office deputies found Darin Atkins deceased in his home, 3543 S. Harts Gravel Road, north of Birdseye on July 19, 2017. On that day, Dubois County dispatch received a 911 call from Andry advising that she had found Darin Atkins deceased at his residence. During the investigation, officers interviewed Andry multiple times, according a report from the prosecutor’s office. At that time, Andry told police that it looked like someone came in while Darin Atkins was sleeping and beat him to death. But Dubois County Sheriff Tom Kleinhelter, who was a detective at the time, said that it became apparent to investigators that the crime scene had been tampered with and the body had been moved post-mortem.

Investigators recovered extensive digital evidence, including information from the cellphones of Andry and other witnesses, and video and location information from businesses and other buildings near the crime scene. In her interviews, Andry gave multiple varying accounts of what occurred, and her accounts differed from facts established with the digital and video evidence, the prosecutor’s office reported.

During one of the interviews police conducted with Andry, investigators left her in the interview room alone for a few minutes with the video recording equipment still running. On the recording, Andry can be heard saying, “my God, what have I d….,” the prosecutor’s office reported.

Investigators also interviewed Jason A. Atkins of Birdseye, who was also in a relationship with Andry, multiple times. Jason Atkins eventually told investigators that he got into a confrontation with the victim and struck him once in the head with a baseball bat, according to the prosecutor’s office. Jason Atkins said that Andry then took the bat and struck Darin Atkins twice before he and Andry left the residence, the prosecutor’s office said.

Pathologist Dr. James Jacobi determined that the manner of death was a homicide, and the cause of death of Darin Atkins was multiple blunt force injuries to the head.

Warrants charging Andry and Jason Atkins in the case were issued in June 2018. They were arrested June 11, 2018.

Jason Atkins pleaded guilty to murder in October 2019 and was sentenced to 45 years. As part of his plea agreement, a felony count of aggravated battery was dismissed.

Dubois County Prosecutor, Anthony Quinn, is satisfied with the sentence his office obtained in the case.

“Such a heinous and senseless crime calls for a lengthy sentence like we received here,” Quinn said in a press release. "Again, I want to thank our community of law enforcement officers here in Dubois County for their fine work in this case. We will continue to work in collaboration for the safety and security of the people of Dubois County.”

More on